Edmonds was the first African-American to earn a monogram at Notre Dame
Wayne Edmonds waited for the backlash, for the inevitable reminders of racism to kick in.Maybe all those people back home were right. Maybe Notre Dame was no place for a black man. There had been no incidents before this day, but Edmonds sensed what was coming when Fighting Irish coach Frank Leahy approached him during a practice in 1953. "I want you to run with the backs," Leahy told Edmonds. Offensive line coach Bob McBride chimed in: "I want you to be first, too."
Adam Rittenberg covers college football for ESPN.com. He can be reached at email@example.com.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Perkins, Noah in testy locker-room squabble
- Parker shines as Duke picks apart UCLA
- Thunder take 8th in row; home mark at 13-0
- Kobe likely out six weeks with injured knee
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
The two-part ESPN Original Production of a Dan Klores film will air Sunday, March 16, and Monday, March 17, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. For more information, visit espn.com/blackmagic.
• Jackson: The Young Guns of Chicago softball
• Nelson: Angels GM Reagins earns his way
• Dyer: Catching up with Christian Okoye
• Hunt: Moore didn't see himself as pioneer
• Adande: Tisdale relishes act as musician
• Hammann: Mavs scout has Senegal connection
• Tanber: Agents address challenges in business
• Lapchick: Charlie Scott's Tobacco Road odyssey
• Tanber: Solomon works for MLB diversity
• Dyer: Robeson a vibrant presence at Rutgers
• NYC sees resurgence in amateur boxing
• Buckheit: Catching up with Dominique Dawes
• Kreidler: Inside Webber's historical collection
• Drehs: Payton's legacy raises donor awareness
• Buckheit: Travis Grant a scoring machine
• E-ticket: Kareem's 'On the Shoulders of Giants'
• Keri: Bob Gibson's season for the ages
• McNeil: Joe Louis a reflection of his era
• Lapchick: College athletes courageous
• Houston: McVey was tough, 'game to the core'
• Voepel: Parents, fellow coaches inspired Stringer
• Schlabach: Teammates restore Patterson's place
• O'Neil: No easy solution to plight of HBCUs
• O'Neil: A weekend on Alcorn State's tough road
• Rittenberg: Edmonds first to monogram at ND
• Weiner: Macalester's Hudson no longer forgotten
• Griffin: Jack Trice a strong figure at ISU
• Weiner: OU gymnast raises the bar
• Sylvester: Moments changes lives
• Adande: Trail Blazers live the 'Dream'
• Rhoden: Williams reached NFL promised land
• Dyer: Soccer player overcomes adversity
• Barkow: Spiller on a mission