Great State reaches finals
The Great State Debate has reached the finals, with Texas taking on Florida. Obviously great cases can be made for each state and it really comes down to a matter of opinion. Be sure to vote and make your voice heard in the Conversation section at the bottom of the story. Also check out Carter Gaddis' story on Friday nights at Lakeland (Fla.) High and Len Hayward's piece on the passion of fans in West Texas.
• Emanuel County Institute (Twin City, Ga.) and Georgia-bound running back Washaun Ealey is nearing another milestone in his already record-setting career, reports The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Ealey was the EA SPORTS National Junior of the Year in 2007 after rushing for a state-record 58 TDs as ECI won the Class A state title.
• The most recent AP state poll in Texas is out, and Southlake Carroll has fallen to 10th in 5A following its double-overtime loss this weekend. FAB 50 No. 12 Lake Travis is a unanimous No. 1 in 4A.
• Here's a look at the Florida AP state rankings. It's somewhat humorous that the FHSAA doesn't recognize the three out-of-state losses that Miami Northwestern, Pahokee and Booker T. Washington suffered in late August at the Nike-sponsored tripleheader, but at the same time, Northwestern, which is officially 5-0 and the two-time defending state 6A champs, is currently No. 3 in 6A, even behind a team in Apopka, who has a loss already. Voters must still be taking into account he loss that wasn't a loss (29-7 to Long Beach Poly). FAB 50 ranked Plant (Tampa) could get a test in their homecoming game this weekend, as the Panthers (No. 2 in 4A) host 4A No. 5 Hillsborough (Tampa). Speaking of Plant, make sure to check out the Panthers' Elite 11 QB and Georgia recruit Aaron Murray today in an ESPN chat at 3:30 p.m. ET.
• Sensational junior running back Lache Seastrunk is beginning to hit his stride, as the 5-foot-10, 190 pounder was The Austin American-Statesman's Player of the Week after rushing for 292 yards and four touchdowns in Temple's first win of the year, a 49-42 barnburner over Ellison (Killeen, Texas). We saw Seastrunk in person at the TCU Nike Camp this spring, and he will have every chance to rank as the nation's top RB prospect in the Class of 2010 with his combination of sprinter speed and array of dizzying open field moves. He is as explosive and shifty as they come.
• Also from The Statesman, Rick Cantu has the story of Austin High's rising junior quarterback Jacob Morgan who's been nearly perfect (13 TDs and zero interceptions) in leading the Maroons to a 4-2 start.
• The Republican takes a look at the high-scoring Longmeadow (Mass.) High Lancers, who have posted two straight victories in games where their defense has allowed 97 points total. Longmeadow has beaten Westfield 61-42 and Minnechaug Regional 80-55 in its past two contests. The Lancers must be running the spread right? Nope, good ol' Delaware Wing T is still producing points for Longmeadow up in Mass., and it's powered by senior RB Alex Scyocurka, a 5-10, 205 pounder who rushed for 315 yards and five TDs in the win over Minnechaug.
• A quick college note -- it should be high-scoring this weekend when two of our college counselors from the Elite 11, Chase Daniel and Colt McCoy, hookup in Austin.