FAB 50 Playoff Preview
Playoffs In Full Swing
• With postseason play underway in every FAB 50 state including California and Florida, who kick off playoff action this week, the FAB 50 teams should be in for tougher games this week than any other week this year. Ten ranked teams battle undefeated opponents, including No. 28 Arrowhead (Wisc.), who hooks up with Homestead for the WIAA Division I state title for a third straight year Friday. The Green Bay Press-Gazette has a full preview.
|ESPN RISE Staff|
|Ohio State-bound LB Zach Boren leads No. 49 Pickerington Central against No. 18 Elder.|
There are two head-to-head matchups between FAB 50 teams. Todd Holcomb of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution look at a Georgia showdown as No. 44 Northside (Warner Robins) travels to face No. 10 Camden County (Kingsland) on Friday.
Game of the Week: No. 18 Elder (12-1) vs. No.49 Pickerington Central (13-0) -- Ohio D1 State Semifinal
• Pickerington Central is a team that just jumped into the FAB 50 in Week 12, but could be a trap game for Elder, which is coming off a huge double-overtime win over Colerain for the Region IV title and has many in the state looking ahead to a potential Elder vs. St. Ignatius Division I final in two weeks. The Tigers have some big-time talent, particularly on defense, where they are led by Ohio State recruits Zach Boren (DL/LB), Jamie Wood (DB) and Michigan State-bound DB Patrick White. Central's defense has allowed just 100 points in 13 games, and double figure scoring in just four contests. The matchup between Elder's high-flying passing attack that's keyed by junior QB Mark Miller and Cincinnati-bound WR Josh Jones and Central's defense should be fun to watch.
• Groeschen also profiles Elder's unsung hero Nick Gramke.
Here's a look at this weekend's full schedule of FAB 50 games:
No. 2 St. Thomas Aquinas (10-0) vs. Coconut Creek (7-3) -- Class 5A Regional Quarterfinal
No. 3 Lowndes (11-0) vs. Bradwell Institute (8-3) -- Class 5A Round 2
No. 5 Long Beach Poly (10-0) vs. Bishop Amat (7-3) -- CIF SS PAC-5 Div. Round 1
No. 6 Armwood (10-0) vs. Winter Haven (7-4) -- Class 4A Regional Quarterfinal
No. 7 Oscar Smith (12-0) vs. Ocean Lakes (12-0) -- D6 Regional Final
No. 8 Lake Travis (11-0) at Steele (10-1) -- Class 4A D1 Round 2
No. 9 St. Xavier (10-0) at Pleasure Ridge Park (5-4) -- Class 6A Round 2
No. 10 Camden County (11-0) at No.44 Northside (10-1) -- Class 5A Round 2
No. 12 South Panola (12-0) at Northwest Rankin (10-2) -- Class 5A Quarterfinal
No. 13 Corona Centennial (10-0) vs. Yucaipa (5-5) -- CIF SS Inland Div. Round 1
No. 14 Phoebus (12-0) at Lake Taylor (12-0) -- D5 Regional Final
No. 15 Lakeland (10-0) vs. Bloomingdale (7-4) -- Class 5A Regional Quarterfinal
No. 17 North Shore (9-0) at Hightower (9-0) -- Class 5A D1 Round 2
No. 19 Maryville (12-0) at Rhea County (10-2) -- Class 4A D1 State Quarterfinal
No. 20 Don Bosco Prep (8-1) vs. St. Peter's Prep (8-2) -- Non-Public Grp.4 Semifinal
No. 21 Permian (11-0) at Burleson (5-6) -- Class 5A D1 Round 2
No. 22 Stone Bridge (12-0) at Edison (12-0) -- D5 Regional Final
No. 23 Dorman (12-0) at Lexington (9-3) -- Class 4A D1 Round 2
No. 25 North Penn (11-0) vs. Downington West (11-1) -- Class 4A Round 1
No. 26 Tampa Plant (9-1) vs. Lakewood (7-3) -- Class 4A Regional Quarterfinal
No. 28 Arrowhead (13-0) at Homestead (13-0) -- D1 State Final
No. 29 Prattville (10-1) at Auburn (12-0) -- Class 6A State Quarterfinal
No. 30 Byrnes (11-1) vs. Clover (9-3) -- Class 4A D1 Round 2
No. 31 John T. Curtis (10-1) vs. University Lab (7-3) -- Class 2A Round 2
No. 32 Maine South (12-0) vs. Bartlett (12-0) -- Class 8A State Semifinal
No. 33 Sherman Oaks Notre Dame (10-0) vs. Compton (7-2) -- CIF SS PAC-5 Div. Round 1
No. 34 Madison County (9-0) vs. Marianna (8-2) -- Class 2A Regional Semifinal
No. 36 South Pointe (12-0) vs. Berkeley (8-4) -- Class 4A D2 State Quarterfinal
No. 37 St. Bonaventure (9-1) vs. Newbury Park (7-3) -- CIF SS Northern Div. Round 1
No. 38 Allen (10-1) vs. Coppell (8-3) -- Class 5A D1 Round 2
No. 39 Peoria Centennial (11-0) at Desert Ridge (8-3) -- Class 5A D2 State Quarterfinal
No. 40 Union (10-1) vs. Norman North (9-2) -- Class 6A State Quarterfinal
No. 41 Independence (11-0) at East Mecklenburg (11-2) -- Class 4-AA Round 2
No. 42 Center Grove (12-1) vs. Davis (10-3) -- Class 5A Semifinal
No. 43 Muskegon (12-0) vs. Davison (9-3) -- D2 State Semifinal
No. 45 Newnan (11-0) at Tift County (8-3) -- Class 5A Round 2
No. 46 Jenks (10-1) vs. Santa Fe (9-2) -- Class 6A State Quarterfinal
No. 47 Bellevue (11-0) vs. Liberty (9-2) -- Class 3A State Quarterfinal
No. 50 Miami Columbus (9-0) at Northwestern (9-2) -- Class 5A Regional Quarterfinal
No. 1 Euless Trinity (11-0) at Plano (10-1) -- Class 5A D1 Round 2
No. 4 Gateway (12-0) vs. Bethel Park (12-0) -- Class 4A Round 1
No. 11 St Ignatius (12-1) at Hoover (12-1) -- D1 State Semifinal
No. 16 Skyline (11-0) vs. Auburn (11-0) -- Class 4A State Quarterfinal
No. 18 Elder (12-1) vs. No.49 Pickerington Central (13-0) -- D1 State Semifinal
No. 24 Good Counsel (11-0) vs. DeMatha (9-2) -- WCAC Championship
No.27 Concord De La Salle (9-1) Next: CIF NSC D1 Quarterfinal
No.48 Wayzata (12-0) vs. Blaine (11-1) -- Class 5A State Final on Nov. 28
No.35 Glenville (11-1)
• Sounds like Edison will be a bit beat up physically when the Eagles host No. 22 Stone Bridge in a clash of undefeated teams Friday night in the Virginia AAA Northern Region Division 5 championship game. This will be the fourth straight season that Edison and Stone Bridge have locked horns in the playoffs, with the Bulldogs winning two of the past three. More on this contest from The Washington Post.
• Sarah McLellan of The Arizona Republic takes a look at the powerhouse that is Hamilton High in Chandler. In 10 short years, the school has won three Class 5A championships to accompany eight Fiesta Region titles. The program has compiled a 126-14 record and this year is again in the thick of another state title hunt when it hosts Chandler on Friday in a quarterfinal matchup.
• The fallout from the Nature Coast Tech-Groveland brawl in Florida a few weeks back has been harsh for both schools, reports The St. Petersburg Times. It was particularly tough for Nature Coast, who was levied fines totaling $10,400, placed on restrictive probation for the remainder of 2008, administrative probation through June of 2010 and forced to forfeit this week's opening round playoff game against Williston, which would have been the school's first playoff game since they began playing football in 2004. Nature Coast head coach Jamie Joyner was suspended for six weeks by the athletic association and suspended with pay by the School Board pending an investigation, after he allegedly threw punches during the bench-clearing melee that followed a power outage at the end of the game.
• Four teens, three of whom played at Meadowcreek High (Norcross, Ga.) this fall and one who played the previous year, are in jail without bond following their arrests on armed robbery charges, reports The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.