The fight goes on to clear Shoeless Joe's name
In Greenville, S.C., Shoeless Joe Jackson's hometown, you don't call him a cheater. You call him a hero, Wright Thompson discovers.
GREENVILLE, S.C. -- The overgrown lot on East Wilburn Avenue is where Shoeless Joe Jackson lived out his days. Once, a house stood here. Now, there's just rubble and a few remnants of a foundation.Lester Erwin, a former high school baseball coach and one of the last surviving relatives who actually knew the disgraced ballplayer, walks over broken bottles and bricks. He finds where the living room was located, then the fireplace. Finally, he's standing in Shoeless Joe's study. It's where Jackson would go over the ledgers from his liquor store. Right by his desk, he kept his famous bat, Black Betsy, propped up, the familiar wooden handle always a reach away. Sometimes, he sat in there listening to baseball on the radio, surely wondering, imagining, dreaming.
CHEAT WAVE '07
Over the next two days, ESPN.com examines the recent wave of sports cheating and assesses the damage done to our trust in the games we watch. Cheat Wave
Perspectives• Drehs: Answer to cheating lies within
• Future cheats: Stem cells and gene dopers
• Helyar: When owners cheat owners
• Fish: Jose Canseco's online pharmacy primer
• Merrill: Playing unfair at the fair
• Vote: Are the rules of golf golden?
Introduction• Drehs: Cheating raises serious questions for sports
• Forde: We love 'em and can't leave 'em
• Timeline: Hot Spots Through the Years
Your Voice• Vote: Are you a habitual cheater?
• Vote: What does cheating mean to you?
Baseball• Crasnick: Call it cheating, or call it gamesmanship
• Neyer: Baseball's top 10 cheaters of all time
• Thompson: Shoeless Joe's redemption
• SportsNation: What separates cheating from strategy?
• How do you cork a bat?
• Dale Murphy chat wrap
Football• Chadiha: Players look to gain an edge almost any way they can
• Notorious image sticks with Raiders
• Cheating anecdotes: College football
• SportsNation: Cheating or gamesmanship?
Basketball• Thorpe: It's survival of the fittest in the NBA
• Cheat Wave: Pushing the Envelope
• Cheat Wave: Pushing the Envelope 2
• David Thorpe chat wrap
• Cheating anecdotes: College basketball
• Thompson: Point-shavers, a half-century later
NASCAR• Newton: Cheating might be a dirty word, but so is losing
• Blount: Cheating in NASCAR? You be the judge
• Newton: Evernham forces NASCAR's hand
• McGee: Bill France Sr. vs. the mob
Hockey• Burnside: The NHL's cheat sheet
• Burnside: Competition committee is league's best line of defense
Page 2• Zumsteg: "Cheater's Guide to Baseball"
Tennis• Garber: Players police themselves in tennis
• Inside the ATP Gambling Scandal
Golf• Harig: Golf's honor code limits 'cheating' incidents
• Sobel: Ten famous rules invocations in golf history