Good guys wear black
May 7, 1982 -- More than two years after signing a "memorandum of agreement" to move his team from Oakland to Los Angeles, Raiders owner Al Davis won an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL, clearing the way for the team's relocation. An all-woman jury needed just five hours to make its decision. Davis was later awarded $35 million in damages and received $18 million in a settlement.
Davis sought to leave Oakland after city officials refused to make improvements to Oakland-Alameda Coliseum, mainly the addition of luxury boxes. League owners had voted 22-0 against the move, with five owners abstaining.
"Sure, I expected the Oakland fans to get angry at me," Davis said. "But I don't remember any of them parading on the Oakland Coliseum, saying 'Give him what he wants.' In their mind, it's their team. In my mind, it's not."
Davis moved the Raiders to the Los Angeles Coliseum, vacated by the Rams after the 1979 season, later in 1982 and they stayed there through the 1994 season. Then they returned to Oakland.
Odds 'N' Ends
Monday, September 23 Judge orders new trial due to jury misconduct -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Associated PressLOS ANGELES -- Citing jury misconduct, a Los Angeles Superior Court judge on Monday ordered a new trial in the Oakland Raiders' $1.2 billion conspiracy lawsuit against the National Football League.
In a 9-3 vote last year, a Superior Court jury rejected the Raiders' claims that the NFL sabotaged the team's plans to build a new stadium in the Los Angeles area and that the team still owned the NFL rights to the Los Angeles market.
The Raiders moved back to Oakland from Los Angeles in 1995 -- 13 years after they moved south.
The misconduct allegation was raised after five jurors in last year's six-week trial said they overheard one member of the panel say he hated the Raiders and team owner Al Davis and would never vote in their favor, Raiders attorney Larry Feldman said.
The ruling calling for a new trial was made by Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Richard C. Hubbell, who heard the first trial.
"The Raiders are elated with the court's decision and look forward to having an opportunity to try their case to a fair and impartial jury,'' Feldman said. "The Raiders have always believed that they would be playing football games at a state-of-the-art stadium at Hollywood Park today if it were not for the NFL's interference with their negotiations.''
Feldman said a new trial date would be set Dec. 3.
Feldman said the complaint was significant because the jury favored the NFL by a 9-3 vote. One additional vote for the Raiders would have resulted in a hung jury.
"We're disappointed. We will review the decision with our attorneys,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said from his New York City home.
"We believe this is the right decision, a just decision,'' Raiders chief executive Amy Trask said from her office in Oakland. "The NFL celebrated too soon.''
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- QB Winston takes Walter Camp POY award
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Redskins: RG III still starter entering 2014