Teammates work to restore Patterson's place in history
For more than two decades, Florida State's history books suggested J.T. Thomas was the first African-American to play football for the Seminoles.
Thomas, an All-America cornerback who later won four Super Bowl rings as part of the Pittsburgh Steelers' vaunted "Steel Curtain" defense, was indeed the first African-American to play in a football game at Florida State. In the 1970 opener against Louisville, Thomas blocked what would have been a winning field goal by the Cardinals in the ...
Read full story
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
The two-part ESPN Original Production of a Dan Klores film will air Sunday, March 16, and Monday, March 17, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. For more information, visit espn.com/blackmagic.
• Jackson: The Young Guns of Chicago softball
• Nelson: Angels GM Reagins earns his way
• Dyer: Catching up with Christian Okoye
• Hunt: Moore didn't see himself as pioneer
• Adande: Tisdale relishes act as musician
• Hammann: Mavs scout has Senegal connection
• Tanber: Agents address challenges in business
• Lapchick: Charlie Scott's Tobacco Road odyssey
• Tanber: Solomon works for MLB diversity
• Dyer: Robeson a vibrant presence at Rutgers
• NYC sees resurgence in amateur boxing
• Buckheit: Catching up with Dominique Dawes
• Kreidler: Inside Webber's historical collection
• Drehs: Payton's legacy raises donor awareness
• Buckheit: Travis Grant a scoring machine
• E-ticket: Kareem's 'On the Shoulders of Giants'
• Keri: Bob Gibson's season for the ages
• McNeil: Joe Louis a reflection of his era
• Lapchick: College athletes courageous
• Houston: McVey was tough, 'game to the core'
• Voepel: Parents, fellow coaches inspired Stringer
• Schlabach: Teammates restore Patterson's place
• O'Neil: No easy solution to plight of HBCUs
• O'Neil: A weekend on Alcorn State's tough road
• Rittenberg: Edmonds first to monogram at ND
• Weiner: Macalester's Hudson no longer forgotten
• Griffin: Jack Trice a strong figure at ISU
• Weiner: OU gymnast raises the bar
• Sylvester: Moments changes lives
• Adande: Trail Blazers live the 'Dream'
• Rhoden: Williams reached NFL promised land
• Dyer: Soccer player overcomes adversity
• Barkow: Spiller on a mission