Family of Walter Payton works to increase organ donor awareness
CHICAGO -- It has been nearly nine years since that emotionally draining, tear-filled fall night. But Brittney Payton remembers it like it was yesterday. Her father had gathered her and her big brother Jarrett in the family's basement, explaining he had something to tell them. It wasn't good.
A group of doctors, Dad explained, had diagnosed him with primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), a rare liver disease that meant he would need a liver transplant. In between the emotional ...
Read full story
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
The two-part ESPN Original Production of a Dan Klores film will air Sunday, March 16, and Monday, March 17, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. For more information, visit espn.com/blackmagic.
• Jackson: The Young Guns of Chicago softball
• Nelson: Angels GM Reagins earns his way
• Dyer: Catching up with Christian Okoye
• Hunt: Moore didn't see himself as pioneer
• Adande: Tisdale relishes act as musician
• Hammann: Mavs scout has Senegal connection
• Tanber: Agents address challenges in business
• Lapchick: Charlie Scott's Tobacco Road odyssey
• Tanber: Solomon works for MLB diversity
• Dyer: Robeson a vibrant presence at Rutgers
• NYC sees resurgence in amateur boxing
• Buckheit: Catching up with Dominique Dawes
• Kreidler: Inside Webber's historical collection
• Drehs: Payton's legacy raises donor awareness
• Buckheit: Travis Grant a scoring machine
• E-ticket: Kareem's 'On the Shoulders of Giants'
• Keri: Bob Gibson's season for the ages
• McNeil: Joe Louis a reflection of his era
• Lapchick: College athletes courageous
• Houston: McVey was tough, 'game to the core'
• Voepel: Parents, fellow coaches inspired Stringer
• Schlabach: Teammates restore Patterson's place
• O'Neil: No easy solution to plight of HBCUs
• O'Neil: A weekend on Alcorn State's tough road
• Rittenberg: Edmonds first to monogram at ND
• Weiner: Macalester's Hudson no longer forgotten
• Griffin: Jack Trice a strong figure at ISU
• Weiner: OU gymnast raises the bar
• Sylvester: Moments changes lives
• Adande: Trail Blazers live the 'Dream'
• Rhoden: Williams reached NFL promised land
• Dyer: Soccer player overcomes adversity
• Barkow: Spiller on a mission