• Michael Phelps dominated the first week of the Olympics, setting world record after world record in winning eight gold medals. He is the world's best athlete right now.
• Jamaica's Usain Bolt shattered his own world record in winning the 100-meters at the Olympics.
• The U. S. Olympic men's and women's basketball teams continue to roll on.
• Cliff Lee of the Indians is 17-2 with a 2.43 ERA.
• The Mets have won six straight games to take charge in the NL East.
• Several athletes have been tossed from the Olympics due to positive drug tests.
• A Swedish wrestler was stripped of his bronze medal after protesting while on the podium.
• Joe Gibbs Racing trying to alter the result of chassis tests on the cars of Tony Stewart and Joey Lagano. Look for MASCAR to issue stern punishments.
• John McEnroe was thrown out of his match at a Rhode Island tournament after arguing with a chair umpire and making a gesture at fans.
• The Nationals have dropped 10 straight games.
• Tom Glavine's latest injury could end his career.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch plans holdout over contract
- Judge denies Hernandez request for dismissal
- Paul: Sitting out possible if Sterling remains
- Cavs still out front in Love talks, sources say