Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Now that Tim Floyd has decided to stay at USC, he is working on his future roster. Floyd got some great news recently as point guard Lamont Jones signed a letter of intent with the Trojans. Jones, who de-committed from Louisville and Virginia Tech in the past year, joins a solid class which includes highly-regarded Renardo Sidney, Derrick Williams and Noel Johnson.
• I have said time and time again that decision-making is so important in determining a person's success. At Purdue, guard Lewis Jackson will have to complete community service and spend a year under court supervision after pleading guilty to illegal alcohol consumption and possession of drug paraphernalia. Jackson's future could be in question if coach Matt Painter or the school decide to discipline him. The guard started 30 games last season and averaged 5.9 points and a team-leading 3.3 assists.
•I like the new rule change that pushes up the deadline for early-entry players in the NBA draft to back out by mid-May. That is much more of a fair timetable to coaches that were held hostage, not knowing until a week before the draft if a star was returning to school. Think about how difficult it was for a coach to determine his roster for the next season, waiting to learn if he would have a valuable player back in his lineup.
• It is so difficult to pick a top 25 for next season at this time. The deadline for entering the draft is approaching, and some big names are still deciding their future. Then a number of players will pull out of the draft, changing the potential rankings again. Already I have to adjust my top five that I did the night of the championship game since Jonny Flynn has signed with an agent and won't return to Syracuse. If he was back, I would have keep the Orange in the top five.
• The ACC-Big Ten challenge pairings have come out. The most intriguing matchup is a national championship rematch between North Carolina and Michigan State. Duke is 10-0 lifetime in the challenge and goes to Wisconsin this season.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- RG III faces hook if ineffective, sources say
- Winston says contact with ref unintentional
- Zimmer thinks Peterson will return to Vikes
- Scalpers seek up to $125 for free Bills ticket