This and That
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• How about a salute to Jim Boeheim and Syracuse! The Orange scored a pair of impressive double-figure wins over ranked teams, California and North Carolina, to win the 2K Sports Classic which benefited Coaches vs. Cancer. Wesley Johnson showed his superstar potential with two super performances. I remember last year, when Syracuse knocked off Florida and Kansas in a tournament; I feel this season's squad may be even better.
• I feel Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis deserves to know his status one way or the other NOW! There is no doubt that ND officials have made a decision and he should be told now. The Stanford game is not going to change things. I know the cost of a buyout is steep, some $18 million, but the administration should not make the coach twist in the wind.
• Colt McCoy made his statement in the Heisman race. Against a decent Kansas team which has struggled lately, McCoy threw for 396 yards and four touchdowns. Don't count him out as this is still wide open. Tim Tebow and Mark Ingram are still the frontrunners. Right now I lean to Tim Tebow... he is such a winner. Don't measure Tebow by stats -- he is MR HEISMAN!
• Greg Paulus is some athlete. He plays four years on the Duke hoops squad and then returns to the sport of football and after a long layoff, starts at quarterback for Syracuse. AMAZING! He helped the Orange get a surprising win over Rutgers on Saturday.
• UCONN's Randy Edsall is special. I love his spirit and passion! He has been through such an emotional rollercoaster this season with the death of his defensive back, Jasper Howard. His team has been in every game, with so many close losses. Connecticut finally got a big W, beating Notre Dame in South Bend. Edsall was so emotional in the post-game interview. The Huskies are lucky to have him!
• Talk in the halls of The Garden is that the Knicks made a good choice in passing on Allen Iverson. It will be interesting to see if The Answer finds a team that will take him at this point in his career.
• Congratulations to Tom Izzo for tying Jud Heathcote on the Michigan State all-time basketball win list. Izzo and Heathcote each have 340 wins for the Spartans.
• I thought that Florida outfielder Chris Coghlan had a nice year, but I felt Phillies pitcher JA Happ should have been NL Rookie of the year! I am a baseball fanatic!
• Here is a debate that should keep fans going at it... if you were building an NBA team, would you start first with LeBron or Kobe?
• So sorry to learn of the passing of Jim Harrick's wife Sally. I want to send my deepest sympathy to Jim and his family.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Aldridge's 46 lead Blazers by Rockets in OT
- Heat use late charge, top Bobcats in Game 1
- Early brawl mars Brewers' win in 14 innings
- Nene, Wiz rally past Bulls for Game 1 victory