This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Congratulations to Alabama and Texas for making it to the BCS title game. Nick Saban and his Tide team deserve all the credit in their win over the Gators. Notre Dame fans hope that their AD can strike gold like the Tide did in hiring Saban. Greg McElroy was super, scintillating and sensational in leading Alabama. I felt bad for Tim Tebow, but he has been one of the best quarterbacks in college football history. You have to wonder how the absence of Mr. Dunlap affected the Gators. The Longhorns got past a determined Nebraska team in the Big 12 title game thanks to a last-second clutch field goal.
• After 34 years, Bobby Bowden deserved to be treated better. I really believe one more year as head coach would have been no big deal! He was an icon in football. He said bye- bye to coaching but not really on his own terms. Think about what he meant to that program: from 1987-2000, the Seminoles were in the top five for 14 straight years! Bowden deserved to have his dignity.
• The Saints and Colts find ways to win games. New Orleans rallied to win at Washington while Indianapolis snapped Tennessee's win streak. Can one or both of them go 16-0? It will be interesting to see who earns the MVP award -- Drew Brees, Peyton Manning or Brett Favre?
• The signing of Allen Iverson was a good bet for the Philadelphia 76ers. I believe he will create a spark for a dead team! He was signed after Lou Williams was injured. I look at what Brett Favre has done, and I think a change of scenery will help.
• How long before Kansas athletic director Lew Perkins, the former UConn AD, takes to make a call to his former school to inquire about the services of football coach Randy Edsall? I love Edsall's passion and he would be great choice to replace Mark Mangino! Another name that should pop up is East Carolina's Skip Holtz, who also served as a head coach of the Huskies years ago. I understand Turner Gill's name has come up already as well.
• I feel Notre Dame made a great decision to turn down any potential bowl bid. At 6-6, and losers of four straight, the Irish did not deserve a bid. It ended a frustrating season as all six defeats came by a touchdown or less.
• I know Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson is quick on the football field, but WOW, are you serious!? Getting a ticket for going 109 mph in a 55 mph zone? That's wacky, baby! Then teammate Bernard Berrian was accused of driving at a high rate of speed too.
• Once in a while I put on a different hat, that of movie critic! Go and see 'The Blind Side'... it was an emotional movie. I rate it a five-plus on a five-star scale. Sandra Bullock was fantastic!
• Remember this name: Kelvin Taylor, a frosh running back for Belle Glades HS in Florida. In the state semi-finals in Sarasota, he ran for 366 yards and five touchdowns. Fred Taylor, of NFL fame, is number two to his son!
• It's Jimmy V Week, help us by going to jimmyv.org. And don't forget, the Dick Vitale Gala is schedule for May 21 with both Tony Dungy and Tom Izzo being honored. This event will sell out, so get your tickets! Our goal is to raise $1 million in the fight against cancer.