This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Congratulations to Alabama running back Mark Ingram on winning the Heisman Trophy, giving the Tide their first winner of that award. It was a great race and you could have made a legitimate case for several candidates. I was so impressed with Stanford's Toby Gerhart in the win over Notre Dame, rushing for 205 yards. At the end of the day, Ingram was aided by a solid performance against Florida in the SEC title game. Ingram is a vital reason Alabama faces Texas for the national title!
• What has happened to the Pittsburgh Steelers? This team was 6-2 and looked like lock city for the playoffs. Now the Steelers look like they will be watching the postseason from their living room. Pittsburgh lacked a sense of urgency during a stunning loss at Cleveland. The Browns played with the passion and emotion needed to get to the winner's circle as Ben Roethlisberger was sacked eight times!
• Wow, Brian Kelly was named the Notre Dame head coach! He was the choice from the get-go and now he is on the big stage. Kelly has been a big winner everywhere he has been; he will embrace the ND spirit. He brings Holtz-like spirit and love for the Irish-- plus he has energy! I hope Kelly keeps Ron Powlus on his staff. Powlus has great passion for the Golden Dome!
• I heard an interesting discussion on ESPN. The question was posed: Who is the QB of the decade? My choice is No. 18, Peyton Manning! He led the Colts to another win, a record 22nd-straight regular-season victory.
• Louisville's AD Tom Jurich struck gold with the hiring of Charlie Strong! The Cardinals get a coach who did a great job with Urban Meyer's staff, running the Florida defense.
• I had a real blast at a high school football game recently. It was shock city-- Manatee HS, 28 over top-ranked St. Thomas Aquinas, 20-- in the Florida state semifinals. Wow, it was fun! There were 28 future Division I football players in the contest...talk about a ton of talent, baby!
• Just a note to all of Tyler Hansbrough's critics; he had 40 points in the last two Pacer wins. Hansbrough is a hard worker and a winner. I feel that he will prove he belongs, just like Tim Tebow will show the naysayers and prove that he can play in the NFL!
• Sorry to learn of broadcaster Bryant Gumbel's cancer. My prayers are with him.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- 49ers release McDonald amid investigation
- On-mend Murray with Cowboys for player drills
- Melo ahead of matchup vs. Bulls: No what-ifs
- From home turf, Pelini takes shot at Huskers