This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Pressure and scrutiny are key reasons why Florida football coach Urban Meyer will take a leave of absence rather than resign. That is good news for Gator Nation. It was sad to learn the original report that Meyer was going to resign due to health issues. He has done a super job leading the Gators to a pair of national championships. He is as good as it gets in motivating and recruiting! I wish him the best during his leave of absence as he tackles his health situation.
• What has happened to the Saints? A few weeks ago, people were talking about the possibility of them going through the regular season unbeaten. Now the team has lost two in a row at home. Wow, an L to the Bucs?! New Orleans had a big lead before Tampa Bay pulled off shock city. I feel that these two setbacks will take Drew Brees out of the MVP talk.
• Brett Favre of the Vikings should just do what he does best -- play quarterback. I hope he does not ruin a great season with a big collapse!
• Geno Auriemma's Huskies rout everyone. Connecticut's women's hoop team made it 49 in a row with its win over Stanford! That was a battle of No. 1 versus No. 2, but the end result showed the Huskies, led by Maya Moore and Tina Charles, are the crème de la crème, baby! Geno can flat-out coach and it is great to know he will be running the U. S. women's team at the next Olympics.
• It was a Merry Christmas as I sat in a joyous mood, watching my Grandkids open gifts. I wish the NBA would do away with games on Christmas; players should be home with families!
• If you know running back Stafon Johnson of USC, have the school's medical staff contact a throat guru in Dr. Zeitels of Mass. General Hospital in Boston. Dr. Zeitels is a genius!
• Can you believe all these meaningless Bowl games featuring mediocrity -- let's add another bowl with the two worst teams in college football. I'll let you name it!
• J. J. Redick has developed into a valuable player off the bench for the Orlando Magic. J. J. was a great college player at Duke and a member of my All-Decade team. He has become a real asset for coach Stan Van Gundy.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: UM execs in town to meet Harbaugh
- Browns suspend WR Gordon for season finale
- Sources: Some Bears coaches fear firings
- KG pulls a Stephenson, blows in West's ear