This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• A lot of people have been asking me about my Final Four picks. Right now, I will go with Kansas, Kentucky, Syracuse and Purdue. Imagine the bedlam and craziness if the Boilermakers and Wildcats made the championship game in Luca Oil Stadium in Indianapolis? That would be a tough ticket on Monday night.
• I want to send my best wishes for a speedy recovery to Denver Nuggets coach George Karl, who is going through another fight with cancer. My friends, we have to beat this dreaded disease. If anyone is capable of winning this battle, is Karl. He has such a fighting spirit, enthusiasm and energy to go right at it.
• Wow, the Detroit Tigers made a good move by picking up Johnny Damon. Do you think the media will keep an eye on what Damon and Curtis Granderson do this season, comparing their stats constantly? I think Jim Leyland will be happy to have Damon in his line-up as he is a flat-out winner. The Yankees should be happy to have Granderson as well.
• I know that Antawn Jamison shot 0-for-12 in his first game with the Cavaliers. I still feel the trade was a steal for Cleveland, and this move will be another positive as the Cavs are the favorites in the Eastern Conference. It gives LeBron James another player to help out, a guy who will fit in well.
• A sign of great coaching is getting the most of your people. Jamie Dixon of Pitt is an example, and his team scored a great W vs. Villanova!
• Jim Boeheim of Syracuse has to be one of the top candidates for national Coach of the Year honors. I have him on a short list with Dave Rose of BYU; Kentucky's John Calipari; Steve Alford of New Mexico; Dixon of Pittsburgh and Kansas State's Frank Martin.
• Geno Auriemma and his UConn women just keep on rolling. The team has its win streak up to 66 in a row now following a win over Providence. It looks like UConn. will go back-to-back without much trouble.
• I am so excited that baseball has arrived here in Sarasota with the Orioles. I am going to have a baseball bash at my home to celebrate their arrival to Sarasota!
• The U.S. hockey team sent a message that it will compete for a medal after beating Canada on Sunday night. Goalie Ryan Miller of the Sabres was brilliant for the American squad. Wow, there has to be so much pressure on Canada right now!
• Go to Sunkistsoda.com to vote on my Sound alike finalists! Voters are eligible for big prizes like HD T.V's etc. VOTE NOW!