This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Now that the brackets are out, and the field of 65 is set, I am sure that when I go to spring training games this week, players will ask my opinions on the tournament. My friends, let me tell you, baseball players are really into the NCAA tournament. Some of the guys attended schools that are in the Big Dance; others just love college hoops. It is fun to hear the major leaguers talking about the tourney.
• When I look at the brackets, the Midwest really stands out. Just think about the individual talent in that group ... you could make a pretty solid All-American team! Ohio State's Evan Turner; Maryland's Greivis Vasquez; Georgetown's Greg Monroe; Oklahoma State's James Anderson; Kansas' duo of Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich; Michigan State's Kalin Lucas; Georgia Tech's Derrick Favors. Hey, I wish I could coach that group of talented athletes!
• You knew the Browns were going to unload Brady Quinn after they signed Jake Delhomme from Carolina and traded for Seneca Wallace from Seattle. Quinn was shipped to Denver, where he will have a chance to compete for playing time against Kyle Orton. Perhaps the change of scenery will benefit Quinn in the long term.
• The Jets made a good move picking up LaDainian Tomlinson. He can serve as a mentor to the up-and-coming Shonn Greene, who took impressive strides as a rookie out of Iowa. I believe Tomlinson still has something left and can help the Jets. He also will re-join Antonio Cromartie, who was sent packing from San Diego in another deal.
• I was recently asked to recall my favorite opening day moment. I thought about it, and realized that when Tampa Bay first got its major league team, that was so, so special. Now the Rays have the potential to compete in the tough AL East and the addition of closer Rafael Soriano was really a great pick-up.
• The NIT has North Carolina, Connecticut, Illinois, Virginia Tech and Seton Hall in the field. Imagine if the NCAA tournament was at 96 and we talked about some of these teams being on the bubble. Are you serious?! Please, let's not talk about greed and expanding the Big Dance. We have something special, the best three weeks of any sporting event, so let's not ruin it.