- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
I know that bubbles burst for several teams on Selection Sunday:
• The one snub that really bothers me is Virginia Tech. I feel for Seth Greenberg and his team. The Hokies went 10-6 in the tough ACC, and they beat Wake Forest head to head. I know that people will talk about non-conference scheduling, but I truly believe Virginia Tech is one of the top 34 at-large teams.
• Think about Illinois, a team that beat Wisconsin twice, Clemson, Vanderbilt and Michigan State. Bruce Weber's team lost a heartbreaker to Ohio State in the Big Ten tournament and that cost them a bid. It's too bad.
• Mississippi State lost a tough one in the SEC final to Kentucky, but Rick Stansbury's team did not have a strong enough resume, especially in non-league play.
• Others that fell short include Rhode Island, Mississippi, Arizona State and Memphis.
Oh well. In a 65-team field, teams 66, 67 and 68 will all have a valid claim that they belong.
Dick Vitale writes, in a 65-team field, teams 66, 67 and 68 will all have a valid claim that they belong.