- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
I went to the VBDI (Vitale Bald Dome Index) and came up with seven key things you should know about the Big Dance.
1. There are very few dominant players in this year's tournament. In fact, just eight guys in the field of 65 average over 20 points per game:
Aubrey Coleman, Houston ... 25.6
James Anderson, Oklahoma State ... 22.6
Luke Harangody, Notre Dame ... 22.4
Reggie Holmes, Morgan State ... 21.7
Jimmer Fredette, BYU ... 21.7
Omar Samhan, St. Mary's ... 20.9
Jahmar Young, New Mex. State ... 20.5
Evan Turner, Ohio State ... 20.3
2. The Cornell-Temple matchup has a ton of intrigue. The Big Red lead all tournament teams in three-pointers made per game (9.8), while the Owls have the best three-point field goal defense, yielding 28.1 percent. Talk about contrasting styles!
3. Only two teams in the field of 65 turn the ball over fewer than 10 times per game: Wisconsin (8.9) and Houston (9.1).
4. Only six teams in the field of 65 average 80 ppg. or more:
BYU ... 83.0
Villanova ... 82.5
Kansas ... 81.8
Syracuse ... 81.5
Texas ... 81.2
Xavier ... 80.0
5. Defense does win games, my friends. Kansas (37.7 pct.) leads all teams in the field of 65 in field goal percentage defense.
6. Only two teams in the field of 65 shoot at least 50 percent from the field: Syracuse (51.6) and Murray State (50.3)
7. Free throw shooting in clutch times can be a difference-maker, baby! Four teams in the field of 65 shoot over 76 percent from the foul line:
BYU ... 78.6
St. Mary's ... 76.4
Utah State ... 76.3
Duke ... 76.3
Dick Vitale went to the VBDI (Vitale Bald Dome Index) and came up with a few thoughts on the Big Dance!