Vitale: This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• What is going on at Oregon? The latest individual to turn down the coaching overtures was Missouri's Mike Anderson. I cannot believe they would not have any interest in Bob Knight as he would do a fantastic job! Knight is the ultimate teacher and his teams have never had any issues with the NCAA in terms of violations. The Ducks administration should give Knight a call and an interview.
• The NFL draft is this week and there will certainly be a lot of intrigue. Where will all of the quarterbacks land? Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow will be discussed a lot on the telecast. Many teams need help, and this is their opportunity to build for the future. I know I will be watching Round 1 in prime time, baby!
• The Butler trip to the finals has already paid dividends for mid-major programs. Ray McCallum Sr., the head coach for the University of Detroit, has signed his son. The younger McCallum is big-time and was recruited heavily by some major names! Score one for the mid-majors.
• If Kyle Singler comes back for his senior year a la Jon Scheyer, Coach K would have a great shot to go back-to-back like his Dukies did 1991 and '92. He has some great talent coming in with diaper dandy Kyrie Irving and Seth Curry (transfer from Liberty becomes eligible).
• Do you think that the Memphis Grizzlies wish they could have a do-over for last year's NBA draft? Tyreke Evans played in their home building in college, yet he was passed over for Hasheem Thabeet? I know Memphis has its share of guards, but imagine if Evans or Stephen Curry were in that line-up! It sounds like the same thing that happened a few years back to Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade, who were both passed over for Darko Milicic!
• Bill Parcells made a good move by acquiring Brandon Marshall from the Broncos. Now the Dolphins have a top-flight receiver to pair up with young quarterback Chad Henne. The change of scenery will help Marshall. Wow, the Broncos have cleaned house the last two years, getting rid of Jay Cutler and now, Marshall.
• How about a salute to golfer Brian Davis? In a sudden-death playoff with Jim Furyk over the weekend, Davis called a penalty on himself which virtually ended any chance of him winning. You have to respect his honesty.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Durant offer by UA at least $265M
- Angels righty Richards stretchered off field
- Backup Manziel says he needs to earn way
- Doctors: Jim Kelly has no evidence of cancer