This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Floyd Mayweather Jr. showed why he is one of the best boxers of all-time. His quickness is so impressive and it is almost impossible to hit him. Yes, Shane Mosley had him in a little trouble in round two, but Mayweather dominated the rest of the fight and won convincingly. It was a real thrill to be there and the buzz in Las Vegas at a championship fight is awesome, baby with a capital A!
• It is always fun to go to Las Vegas. I got to see Donny and Marie and they were terrific, and then I saw Barry Manilow. To cap off my trip, I had a super time at HBO pre-fight party. There were celebs galore and I had fun shooting the breeze with Sugar Ray Leonard among others. I was like a little kid!
• In a week which saw Tiger Woods really struggle, golf fans had a lot to cheer about. Rory McIlroy, just a few days before turning 21, shot an incredible 62 to beat out Phil Mickelson and a super field at Quail Hollow. There was another incredible performance as an 18-year old, Ryo Ishikawa, shot a 58 to win a tournament in Japan. There are a lot of great young players out there.
• Congratulations to LeBron James on winning his second straight MVP award. I really feel, that when it is all said and done, King James will be in the discussion with Michael the Magnificent, one Michael Jordan, among the best of the best on the hardwood.
• I had a super time with over 1000 people from the Washburn community in Kansas. It was fun speaking to such a beautiful crowd. I also got to see Bill Self and Frank Martin, and the state of Kansas should be very proud of those two outstanding coaches.
• Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings were special rookies and all three will have great careers. Evans won Rookie of the Year honors, but I still feel Curry will ultimately be the best of the talented trio!
• It is so important that we beat the dreaded disease of CANCER & we need the dollars for the V Foundation, so please dial 1-800-4 JIMMY V and tell them Dickie V said to call!
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Colts owner Irsay faces four felony counts
- Lawsuit challenges NCAA amateur model
- Florida, Zona, Wichita, UVa get No. 1 seeds
- Duke's Parker wins award for top freshman