Each week I talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• They must be jumping with joy in West Lafayette, Indiana. At Purdue, JaJuan Johnson and E'Twaun Moore wisely pulled out of the NBA draft. That was great news for coach Matt Painter and the fans. I feel that the Boilermakers are now a top 5 team for the 2010-11 season. The Big Ten received a lot of good news as Demetri McCamey and Mike Davis of Illinois and Tailor Battle of Penn State took their names out of the draft process to return to college.
• You have to wonder about some of the kids who stayed in the draft. They are listening to the wrong people. They have probably been told by an agent that they can move up into the late first round and get a guaranteed contract. Too many of those kids have an ego and start believing they're better than they really are. All they have to do is look at some pretty simple math: There are only 30 first-round spots, and there are more than 40 guys who have been told they're going somewhere late in the first round. You will see a number of disappointed players come draft night, and several underclassmen who thought they were going early will probably not hear their names called at all.
• The decision by the Wear twins to leave North Carolina, will hurt the Tar Heels depth. I still feel Roy Williams' club will be much better next season. Think about a line-up that will include an improved John Henson, diaper dandy Harrison Barnes, Tyler Zeller, Will Graves, Larry Drew II, Leslie McDonald, Dexter Strickland, and newcomers Reggie Bullock and Kendall Marshall; that is nine solid players! Fans in Chapel Hill should relax as the Tar Heels will be back in contention in the ACC.
• I need to call Jim Calhoun for a loan! He is a long way from his days at Northeastern, baby. Calhoun finally received his new five-year contract from Connecticut and the Frank Lloyd Wright, who has built something special with the Huskies, got what he deserved. He has won two national championships and led Connecticut to prominence in the Big East.
• Just an opinion, but Notre Dame should join the Big Ten if the cash is better than its football deal. I don't think that will be the case, splitting the pot with so many conference schools.
• I heard that the 'Cats are not finished recruiting for 2010! You know that John Calipari is always looking for talent to improve the Kentucky program. He has done an impressive job reloading for next season, led by Brandon Knight.
• The Magic is playing the best in the NBA and will be tough to beat. Dwight Howard, Vince Carter, Jameer Nelson and company were so impressive against the Hawks and Orlando has not lost a game in the playoffs yet!
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Harbaugh, 49ers mutually agree to part ways
- Jets to fire Idzik, Ryan on Monday, sources say
- Cavs' James after loss: 'Not a very good team'
- Steelers best Bengals to win AFC North title