This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• I want to praise John Isner and Nicolas Mahut for their amazing Wimbledon match -- 70-68 in the fifth set... are you serious? That's more like a basketball score, baby! Both guys served well, and the inability to break serve led to the record-breaking match. As a tennis lover, I can tell you it's all about the serve in the men's game!
• NBA free agency will be big news this week. I still believe that LeBron James is going to show loyalty counts and sign with the Cleveland Cavaliers. He always says he is happy, and you should not mess with happiness!
• In reviewing the NBA draft, the Spurs got a steal in James Anderson, and Minnesota found my Rookie of the Year in Wes Johnson! It was hard to believe that Scottie Reynolds, Jon Scheyer and Sherron Collins all went undrafted. They are good enough to play at the next level and should get a shot as free agents.
• How about a salute to Jamie Moyer, who simply keeps on winning at age 47! I really think he has a chance to stay around and win 300 games, my friends. That would be an amazing accomplishment!
• Lady Gaga and her antics at a recent Mets game were a joke. Giving fans a "special salute" and walking around half-naked ... come on, grow up! Give me a break. There are kids at the game. I really feel that youngsters didn't need to see that type of behavior.
• My wife and I attended a beautiful service for my buddy Fred Barakat. Many ACC coaches and officials were there to pay their respects to the family. He will be missed.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Source: Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Tigers' Malzahn awarded Coach of the Year
- Source: Packers pessimistic Rodgers will play