- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• What has happened to loyalty in sports? It's all about the Benjamins! You don't see as many guys staying with one team throughout their entire career like Cal Ripken and Tony Gwynn did in baseball. Free agency has changed the world of sports.
• Would you trade B.J. Upton if you were the Rays? He has loads of potential, but he has struggled in his five-and-a-half years in the big leagues! He has speed and defense when he hustles, but he's very moody.
• Please stop all the talk about Washington Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg being an All-Star. I think even Strasburg would agree that he does not belong on this year's All-Star team! Let the kid have to earn it in a legit manner. Pitching six games is not enough! Let's give credit to the other pitching stars in the NL -- Ubaldo Jimenez, Mike Pelfrey, Chris Carpenter, Josh Johnson and on and on. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Strasburg. He will be an All-Star for many, many years.
• The Boston Celtics got great news when Doc Rivers decided to return to coach again next season. There was a lot of talk of Rivers leaving the coaching ranks to spend more time watching his sons play college basketball.
• I cannot wait until the LeBron James frenzy is over. Enough already! In my mind, his heart is in a Cavs uniform!
• Players wearing that Arizona Diamondbacks uniform better hustle under new leader Kirk Gibson! Former manager AJ Hinch was let go, and Gibson moved into the interim role. My friends, he was something special as a player. Remember the home run off Dennis Eckersley in the World Series? He wants you to give 110 percent!
• The Cincinnati Reds are one of the great stories in baseball this year. This is a storied franchise that has not had a winning season since 2000. Dusty Baker is doing a super job. Jonny Gomes is a great bargain; he could have 100 RBIs this season!