This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• We lost a great ambassador for baseball in George Steinbrenner. He was one of the most giving and generous individuals I have ever met. He had a special fire in his belly to win and showed a big heart, especially to those in need! Rest in peace, Boss. Also, Derek Jeter showed why he is such a special pro athlete -- his tribute to Steinbrenner was so classy. He is a coach's dream!
• Billy King was a superb hire by the Nets. He will help big time in getting future free agents as he has great people skills. Rod Thorn was a class act running the Nets. New Jersey made a solid move by acquiring former Georgia Tech sharpshooter Anthony Morrow recently. This team is a lot better than its record of a year ago showed. With Brook Lopez and Devin Harris leading the way, the Nets will be much more competitive this season.
• I spent some time on the road with my family recently. I had a great time at the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. I felt like a little leaguer until I looked in the mirror. What a beautiful setting at the Otesaga Hotel in Cooperstown. People were so nice to me at the Hall of Fame village. It was really special being with the fans and I even had a chance to hold a bat used by Ted Williams in his last home run! The Dreams Park concept in Cooperstown is also fantastic! There were over a hundred 12 and under baseball teams from all over the country playing in a tourament. Baseball fans should make sure they visit this fantastic shrine for the sport!
• It is so special to take your family out to a ball game. I am fortunate enough to go to a lot of Rays games down in the Tampa-St. Pete area. I was able to take my grandkids to the new Yankees Stadium recently and it was a special event. My grandkids think it is cool to meet the stars! We also got to see David Price, a potential Cy Young winner, against a future Hall of Famer in Andy Pettitte. Unfortunately Pettitte suffered a groin that could sideline him for a month. Do you think Brian Cashman will be on the phone trying to pick up a replacement before the trade deadline?
• Bobby Johnson made a surprise announcement, leaving as Vanderbilt football coach. My friends, that guy can coach. Vandy is a tough job in the best football conference in America.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
- Vick: Florida St.'s Winston 'future of the NFL'
- Louisville's Harrell ejected for throwing elbow
- Cincy coach Cronin (aneurysm) out indefinitely