- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• I recently spoke to Indiana basketball coach Tom Crean during his visit to Florida. He said his Hoosiers will be much better and I agree. He has Jeremiah Rivers, super sophs Christian Watford and Maurice Cheek, and a good recruiting class which includes guard Victor Olapido from DeMatha. It will not be easy as the Big Ten is loaded. Hoosier fans should be encouraged by the progress under Crean.
• I can't wait, baby! Butler will play opener in Pitino's Palace! I will be at courtside, baby. Brad Stevens has a veteran team returning even without Gordon Hayward. Look for big things from Shelvin Mack this season. It will be a test in Louisville and I am sure the atmosphere will be electric there.
• Michigan State coach Tom Izzo did all he could to help Chris Allen be a key player for the Spartans. Some guys just don't get it and must move on! Michigan State still has talent in the backcourt, led by Kalin Lucas and Durrell Summers. The potential is there for another Final Four run from the guys in East Lansing.
• After 25 years of making UCONN an elite program, the Huskie fans are rallying to Jim Calhoun's side despite the NCAA situation! Calhoun is a hero in the state of Connecticut, doing many things for charities. He recently held a basketball game with many of his former players showing up, plus a golf tournament to raise money. The likes of Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie, Donny Marshall and many others hit the links to help Calhoun's cause.
• Pittsburgh recently completed its summer trip to Ireland with a 6-0 record. All six wins came by double figures and Jamie Dixon's team will make some noise this season. Gilbert Brown and Ashton Gibbs led a balanced attack as the only two players averaging double figures on the trip. Dixon has a deeper squad, which is not good news for Big East opponents, baby!
Each week Dick Vitale evaluates the world of sports.