This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports ...
• Wow, Mike Ilitch wants to add the Pistons to his ledger. He already owns the Red Wings and Tigers! Think about it ... he has sold a lot of pizzas, baby!
• Can you believe what has become of Tiger Woods? Can he regroup and eventually catch Jack Nicklaus' 18 grand slams, or is he just another pro? He was respectable at times at the PGA Championship, but people are used to him contending at the majors. I am not a golf analyst, but it is obvious that Tiger's swagger is in left field, and it is easy to understand why.
• It is mind-boggling to see what is going on with American tennis. I sometimes think it is a hunger factor as a lot of foreign players have so much desire and passion. I wonder if we have the same dedication and determination, but it often goes in cycles. Remember the names Hurricane and Tornado Bloch. They will be future stars in American tennis.
• Just my feeling, but based on his college resume, Christian Laettner deserves to be in the Naismith Hall of Fame! He meant so much to Duke, and it is an honor he deserves.
• Jeremy Hellickson is the real deal for the Rays. He is now 3-0 after a win over Baltimore Sunday. I wonder if Tampa Bay is sorry it did not make a deal at the deadline to pick up Adam Dunn from the Nationals. The Rays could have given up a pitcher as Hellickson has proven himself already.
• I still don't like the idea that NFL fans have to pay full price for preseason games. You see the stars play a couple of series and then it is rookies and guys who will get cut soon.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: LeBron's Cavs deal for just 2 years
- Gasol ready for 'new chapter,' will join Bulls
- Sources: Melo, Knicks negotiating contract
- Source: Rockets will sign Ariza for 4 years