Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Memphis fans must be on cloud nine with the news that 6-foot-6, multi-talented recruit Will Barton has been cleared to play by the NCAA! Josh Pastner has done a super job recruiting blue-chip athletes and Tiger fans should see something special this season.
• New Iowa State coach Fred Hoiberg got some good news when former Michigan State guard Chris Allen decided to transfer to Ames, Iowa. Allen will sit out the upcoming season and play in 2011-12, but he brings experience and scoring ability to the Cyclones.
• LSU's loss became Nebraska's gain. Bo Spencer, who was declared ineligible in Baton Rouge, transferred to Cornhusker Country. He will sit out this season and play during the 2011-12 campaign with Nebraska. Spencer averaged 14.5 ppg and would have been the top returning scorer for Trent Johnson's club.
• I love the attitude of incoming NCAA president Dr. Mark Emmert, concerning the one-and-done rule. I agree with his idea that college basketball should adopt baseballs' draft eligibility rules.
• Something tells me that the Florida Gators are going to be a legit top-15 team this year. There is a lot of experience and I'm hearing reports that Billy Donovan is smiling.
• I know the Big Ten is loaded, but you can never downplay Wisconsin. The Badgers, led by coach Bo Ryan, will always cause havoc.
• I want to wish all the best to Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers, who announced he will retire in 2011.
• Sonny Vaccaro's return to the shoe business will create a big splash! We will see where he lands in the near future.
• Last year, three of the top four seeds lost in the quarterfinals of the Big East tournament. The league's coaches were in agreement that the double-bye system was unfair. Guess what? The double-bye will be back for this year's tournament. So much for the sentiment of the coaches!
• I am so excited about the deal I just inked with Sunkist. Their people are great to work with. Read this column each week for more details on how to become eligible to win thousands of dollars in the SUPER FUN SUNKIST CONTEST!
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: UM execs in town to meet Harbaugh
- Browns suspend WR Gordon for season finale
- Sources: Some Bears coaches fear firings
- KG pulls a Stephenson, blows in West's ear