- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Team USA, led by the brilliant play of Kevin Durant, brought home the gold for USA Basketball for the first time since 1994. It was an impressive win in the championship game over host Turkey, a team that was unbeaten in the tournament before the final. Coach K instilled pride in these young stars! I think they came together as a unit and for those critics who said there was no LeBron James, no Dwyane Wade, etc., the squad that they ultimately put together came through with flying colors.
• Patrick McEnroe served 10 solid years as captain of the U.S. Davis Cup. He brought home the Davis Cup when the American team beat Russia in the finals in Portland, Oregon in 2007. Now the USTA should immediately name Jim Courier as McEnroe's replacement.
• Tennessee has had better times than this past weekend. We need more people like Pat Summitt in the world. The big question is: will the NCAA be tough after Bruce Pearl's admission?
• We have an early-season Heisman front-runner already. I know, I know, it is just two weeks into the season. But you have to be impressed with the young man playing in the Maize and Blue: Denard Robinson was amazing against Notre Dame! It was an incredible effort by the young man they call "Shoelace" as he had 502 total yards. WOW!
• It is sad when you reflect back on September 11th, a date where so many lives were changed by such a brutal terrorist attack. It makes you wonder: Why can't we all get along in a peaceful fashion?
• How about a salute to Kim Clijsters, who was impressive in winning the U.S. Open women's singles championship for the second straight year! She was dominant in the final and now she is the Queen of Flushing Meadow!
• I spoke to Brent Musburger and he was really impressed with the coaching staff at Boise State. The Broncos scored a big win over Virginia Tech in the season-opener. But now that the Hokies were upset by James Madison, how much is the initial win by Boise going to be discounted by voters?
• I am not shocked that there was discussion that the 2005 Heisman Trophy will be taken back from former USC running back Reggie Bush. It sounds like he took a cut in pay to play for the Saints (only joking).
29mMarc Stein and Tim MacMahon
9hMarc Stein and Calvin Watkins