This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• The NFL is a league where teams can turn things around quickly. Just look at the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, each opening 2-0 and each notching road wins this past Sunday. The Bucs are clearly better than the experts predicted and Josh Freeman is growing up in his second pro season. Then you have the Dallas Cowboys and the Minnesota Vikings, both with great expectations and 0-2 starts. There is plenty of time to right the ship.
Cross-Sport Power Rankings
Michael Vick's impressive Monday night performance earns him the top spot in our weekly rankings. Who else made the cut? Find out here »
• The Jets had something to prove in the second half against the Patriots. Mark Sanchez really showed resiliency in the win. Tom Brady had to be disappointed with his team's showing after heading into halftime with the lead.
• Wow, one of the best coaches in college football has to be Al Golden of Temple. He truly gets the most out of his people! The Owls are 3-0 going into a game against Penn State. Temple is 3-0 for the first time since 1979.
• I was disappointed to see that Tampa Bay fans didn't show up for the first game of the Yankees-Rays series. Are you serious, drawing under 27,000 fans when CC Sabathia was facing David Price in a battle of Cy Young contenders?! Both of those guys were unhittable and it was a classic. These teams are fighting for first place and they couldn't sell out the Trop?
• Speaking of the Rays, they have to step up and keep free agent outfielder Carl Crawford. He is so important to the success of the franchise. I know most people have Crawford gone after this season, but ownership has to make a bold move and keep him.
• I know most Yankee fans don't think about this, but when it is all said and done, I feel that Jorge Posada belongs in Monument Park. He has meant that much to the franchise, baby! He is an unsung hero who has done the job night in and night out. Posada has had so many clutch hits over the years.
• How about a salute to Alabama's Mark Ingram? He didn't miss a beat in his return for the Tide. He had 151 rushing yards on just nine carries. Now Alabama faces a real challenge against Arkansas and Ryan Mallett.
• My guy Charles Barkley has a magical way to get headlines. He is amazing in the way he can have people at the water cooler in a buzz -- I am jealous!
• The more I think about it, I would not trade Kevin Durant for anyone in the NBA, except LeBron James! That shows how much I think of Durant. He can score in so many ways and I love his attitude and approach to the game.
• I love the mentality of the new chief of the NCAA, Mark Emmert. He will not tolerate CHEATING! College sports have seen so many disappointing stories as of late. It is frustrating to pick up a newspaper and see all of the problems.
• I am honored to receive the Make-A-Wish Chris Greicius Award. The greatest national honor from this outstanding organization, it was named for the first child to be granted his wish, which happened 30 years ago. Click here to read more about this special honor.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Doc wins in return as Clippers top Celtics
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences
- Source: Colon, Mets reach 2-year, $20M deal