This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• I would not write off Joe Torre quite yet. I would not be surprised if he ends up in a major league dugout next season. I believe he will manage again as he is a young 70-year-old!
• Stanford flat out whooped Notre Dame at South Bend. The Cardinals are a legit top 15 team! I love the energy of coach Jim Harbaugh and quarterback Andrew Luck is one of the best signal-callers in the nation! This week, the Stanford-Oregon game should be a beauty.
• For those who want to be critical of Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly, I believe that he will get the job done in the long term. Give him time to establish the program with his players and his system. He has been a winner everywhere he has been. Remember that Harbaugh did not win in his first season at Stanford and look at what he has done.
• Give Alabama coach Nick Saban a lot of credit for winning at Arkansas. Down by 13 points, the Tide bounced back to get a big road win. Life in the SEC ... Alabama gets to face Florida this week!
• Geno Auriemma's girls will dominate the World Championships. I believe we will see some more GOLD for the USA, BABY! This is a talented team with the likes of Diana Taurasi, Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Swin Cash, Angel McCoughtry and company.
• Even though his team lost to the Steelers, I have been impressed with Tampa Bay Bucs youngster Josh Freeman. He is a rising star as a QB and I speak from personal experience when I tell you that he is already a star as a man.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Doc wins in return as Clippers top Celtics
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- MLB plans to ban home plate collisions by '15
- NCAA may work with power 5 conferences