This and that
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• How about a salute to Michigan State and coach Mark D'Antonio. The Spartans are 7-0 for the first time since 1966 after a win over Illinois on Saturday. My friends, this team should not be neglected in terms of the national championship picture.
• Another school not getting enough publicity this season is Missouri. Gary Pinkel's team is undefeated, and we will learn how good the Tigers are when they face Oklahoma this week. The Sooners blew out Iowa State last weekend.
• Notre Dame football suffered a major loss when tight end Kyle Rudolph underwent hamstring surgery that will sideline him for the rest of the season. Rudolph was one of the top tight ends in America and a major threat for quarterback Dayne Crist. Hopefully he will consider petitioning for a fifth year at South Bend. The Irish still got a win over Western Michigan.
• South Carolina learned a valuable lesson about consistency. One week after beating Alabama, Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks could not hang on to a lead at Kentucky. Wow, that is life in the SEC, baby! Then you see what Auburn did, putting up 65 points on Arkansas.
• Speaking of Auburn, there is a new Heisman leader in Tigers QB Cam Newton! Forget Shoelace Robinson of Michigan, Cam Newton can run and pass -- where would Gene Chizik's be without him? Auburn and LSU should be a great game.
• Remember last year's Ravens-Patriots playoff game? Bill Belichick's team got a measure of revenge by beating Baltimore in overtime this time around. It was also a good Sunday for Eagles QB Kevin Kolb, who threw for 326 yards and three touchdowns in a win over the Falcons.
• An example of how tough it is to win consistently in the NFL. Remember when the Bears got off to a fast start? Well, Chicago lost at home to Seattle last weekend. That was a good win for Pete Carroll and company.
• I had to tear up my tickets for the ALCS vs. the Yankees. I will get a refund but I would have preferred to watch baseball! Cliff Lee was too good against my Rays in Game 5 of the ALDS.
• When is Brian Cashman going to get credit as the Yanks GM? He made great moves in getting Kerry Wood and Lance Berkman!