Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Every time I think about Robbie Hummel, I feel miserable because he is such a great kid who deserves better. His torn ACL really changes the Boilermakers' forecast! I dropped them from the top three to No. 15 in my preseason rankings. Coach Matt Painter still has E'Twaun Moore and JaJuan Johnson leading the way, however.
• The Maui Invitational in 2011 will expand from eight to 12 teams with the addition of four Division I institutions. The total number of tournament games will also expand from 12 games currently played on the island of Maui to a total of 23 games, which include 11 games played on the U.S. mainland. The field of teams already announced for 2011 is impressive. Duke, Kansas, Georgetown, Memphis, UCLA, Tennessee and Michigan are all slated to go to Hawaii.
• New St. John's coach Steve Lavin made a great move by adding former Purdue coach Gene Keady on his staff in an advisory role. Keady has been a mentor for Lavin and it is great to have experience at your fingertips. Lavin has already had an impact on the Red Storm, signing three top-50 recruits for next season. Meanwhile, Lavin received a blow when senior forward Justin Burrell suffered a broken bone in his left hand. He will miss 4-5 weeks.
• Virginia coach Tony Bennett's team also suffered a blow when junior guard Sammy Zeglinski had surgery to repair cartilage in his left knee. Zeglinski is expected to miss up to eight weeks. He averaged almost nine points per game and was a threat from three-point rnage.
• There has been consideration for changing the recruiting process in college hoops. One thought is to eliminate the July recruiting period beginning in 2012. A future vote will determine that. My friends, I am sure that a number of coaches will be disappointed with that possibility. This change could be major in the future, stay tuned.
• Temple was picked as the preseason favorite to win the A-10 again. Fran Dunphy has done a super job there and he deserves more national publicity.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Durant's 42 help OKC secure second seed
- Sources: Jets, ex-Titans RB Johnson agree
- Griz seize No. 7 slot from Mavs with OT win
- Thompson likens Griffin to 'bull in china shop'