- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• It was so sad to learn about the passing of Maurice Lucas. I coached against the Enforcer, who was so special for Al McGuire's Marquette teams. He was also important for the Portland Trail Blazer champion squad. RIP!
• I did not put Harrison Barnes on my All-Solid Gold teams. When I select a preseason All American team, I do not include freshmen ... postseason is another story (i.e. John Wall last year)! Just a personal belief.
• Kyrie Irving sent a message of how good he can be. In his first game in a Duke uniform, even though it was an exhibition, he had 17 points, seven assists and just one turnover in 20 minutes. This kid is going to be special.
• I have Kansas a little lower than most in the Big 12 right now. The reason is the unknown status of Josh Selby. If he plays, the Jayhawks would be picked second or third in my book. By the way, with Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich gone, Marcus Morris is going to be the star of stars in Lawrence. He showed he is ready for the role by scoring 28 points in the team's exhibition opener.
• There is an absurd rule in recruiting. Kids are not allowed to be introduced to celebs on campus visits. That recently came up at Iowa as recruits met Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore. I just don't get it when an athlete takes a picture with a celeb, that is a big deal? At least the NCAA did not punish Iowa.
• Former Florida International big man Freddy Asprilla, who spent time at a junior college last year, could be an interesting contributor at Kansas State this season. He fell just short of a double-double in a recent exhibition game, scoring nine points while grabbing 13 rebounds.