- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I talk about the world of sports:
• Do you have any doubt that Urban Meyer will coach again? My gut says he will stay on the sidelines for three years at the most; he is such a competitor and he will miss the action! Gator fans must be going wacky over the news that Meyer, again, has opted to step down.
• The New England Patriots sent a message loud and clear in the bad weather at Chicago. With a short work week after a blowout on Monday night against the Jets, Bill Belichick's team showed it is the team to beat in the NFL by blowing out the Bears. Tom Brady showed why he is an MVP candidate, getting the job done in the snow.
• It is hard to believe the Cincinnati Bengals have lost ten in a row. This team has talent, but those mistakes are killers. Against the Steelers, a pair of interceptions were returned for touchdowns.
• Are there more passionate fans in sports than the Kentucky Blue Nation fan base? I love their enthusiasm and energy, making Rupp Arena a very special place.
• The AL East is so tough. Boston has made a couple of great moves with the additions of Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez. Then add the return of Dustin Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis from injuries and they will be tough. Meanwhile, watch out for the Orioles as they are making solid moves by getting third baseman Mark Reynolds and shortstop J. J. Hardy. Look for Adam Jones to have a breakout year! Buck Showalter made a difference last season and with a full year, this team will improve even more.
• As a Rays fan, it hurts to lose Crawford but I can't blame him for joining the Red Sox. It is going to be a different team in Tampa this season with Jason Bartlett, Carlos Pena and Rafael Soriano also gone.
• Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley has made a gutty hire in new head football coach Will Muschamp. This is not the first time Foley has come through with someone that had potential. Remember the name Billy Donovan and realize the success he enjoyed with two national titles!
• If I was voting today, Amare Stoudemire would get the nod for NBA MVP. Think about it ... the Knicks are 16-9 and on a roll while the big man cannot be held under 30! The Garden is alive again due to AMARE! Give Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni some credit as they have a team on the rise, baby!
• Do they play football at the 'Cuse? Only kidding as the program is moving in the right direction. The Orange did a nice job in the Big East this season, including a win at South Florida. Now the Orange get a shot in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium against Kansas State! Syracuse's men's basketball team has been on fire while the women's hoop team just upset Ohio State.
Each week Dick Vitale talks about the world of sports. This week, he discusses Isiah Thomas consulting for the New York Knicks, the Celtics' acquisition of Shaq, and the chances Joe Girardi becomes the manager of the Cubs.