Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Congratulations to Mike Krzyzewski on tying Dean Smith for second on the all-time Division I coaching win list. The two ACC legends are tied at 879 as Coach K is closing in on his mentor, Robert Montgomery Knight for numero uno on the list. That number 903 to pass Knight seems to be in reach this season the way the Dukies are playing and with the conference a bit down.
• Speaking of milestones, California coach Mike Montgomery goes for his 600th career win on Wednesday. It will not come easily as the Golden Bears face Kansas in Berkeley. If California falls short, his next shot will come next Tuesday against Hartford.
• There has been an interesting trend recently in college basketball. It is called Letdown City, baby! Tennessee beat Pittsburgh and then lost back-to-back to Oakland and Charlotte. Louisville beat UNLV and then fell to Drexel. Florida knocked off Kansas State and then was stunned at home by Jacksonville, 71-68 in overtime. My friends, it is not easy to be consistent in college hoops. You can get up for a big-time opponent, and if you don't come up with the same enthusiasm against a so-called lesser opponent, watch out. There is a target on the backs of the big boys, and it is dangerous in non-league play. That is why you see shock city!
• Okay, all of those anti-Duke fans should get ready to face the music because Austin Rivers is better than advertised. I saw him in person at the City of Palms tournament and he is unbelievable ... WOW! Let me tell you, Doc Rivers can be very proud of his son as a super young man as well as a star hoopster.
• Providence senior Rashon Brooks deserves a lot more publicity. He is one of the top scorers in the Big East around 23 ppg. With league play starting next week, Brooks will have an opportunity to make some noise. He gets to face Syracuse at the Carrier Dome in the Big East opener.
• Several leagues will give us post-Christmas gifts with conference play before New Year's. I love Connecticut at Pittsburgh before January 1. Georgetown is at Notre Dame on December 29th. Big East commissioner John Marinatto has to be thrilled to see five Big East teams in this week's ESPN/USA Today top 10.
• Western Kentucky hit a grand slam getting 6-3 wing Derrick Gordon. I saw him at the City of Palms tournament and he was sensational, scoring 37! Coach Ken McDonald has to be thrilled with his new talent.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Source: Redskins to start McCoy over RG III
- CFP: First four unchanged, but Ole Miss falls
- Red Sox officially unveil Sandoval, Ramirez
- Rose (hammy) lasts 10 minutes vs. Nuggets