Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Jacob Pullen finally showed why he was picked as a preseason All-America by putting up 38 points against Kansas Monday. Pullen hit five-of-six trifectas in the win over the Jayhawks. Isn't it amazing that Kansas won at Lawrence by 24 points, and then Monday, Kansas State made its win over the top dogs look effortless. Frank Martin had to be smiling after the win over the Jayhawks.
• Speaking of Kansas, it suffered a blow when Thomas Robinson, who has already gone through so much, was sidelined following knee surgery. Robinson lost his grandparents and his mother in a short period of time, and then he had surgery on his right knee to repair a meniscus tear. I wish him a speedy recovery.
• Will we see an unheralded team make some noise in the big dance? A team to keep your eye on is Coastal Carolina. Led by veteran coach Cliff Ellis, who could be taking his fourth different school to the tourney, has led South Alabama, Clemson and Auburn to the big dance before this. Only a handful of coaches have taken four different schools to the NCAA tournament. He could join John Beilein, Lefty Driesell, Jim Harrick, Lon Kruger, Tom Penders, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith and Eddie Sutton as coaches to take four schools to the dance, baby!
• Then there is George Mason as Jim Larranaga has done a terrific job with the Patriots. George Mason has a legit shot to get back to the NCAAs as the team to watch out of the Colonial Athletic Association. The team has already cracked the 20-win plateau. Senior guard Cam Long has been consistent for George Mason this season as the team's top scorer.
• A player who needs more publicity is Morehead State's Kenneth Faried. My friends, he is a rebounding machine, nobody cleans the glass like this kid. He has had multiple 20+ rebound games, taking away opportunities from opponents as his team battles for supremacy in the Ohio Valley Conference.
Check out the Roundball Chatter Archive »
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Wall, Wizards deal Cavs 3rd straight loss
- Raiders' Woodson on celebration: 'Ridiculous'
- Kobe on hometown-discount deals: 'Big coup'
- Report: Red Sox offer Sandoval 5 for $95M