Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• The end of the Big East tournament game between Rutgers and St. John's certainly created quite a buzz. From looking at the replays, it appeared that 1.7 seconds should have been left on the clock with the Red Storm losing possession and the Scarlet Knights getting another shot at pulling off a big upset. Instead, the three officials -- Jim Burr, Tim Higgins and Earl Walton -- walked off of the court. All of my tweeting buddies went bananas and it was simple as this: The zebras flat out blew it. I spoke to John Adams, who is in charge of assigning officials during the NCAA tournament and he said the monitor could not be used in that situation. Well, my friends, we are talking about the some of the best officials in the game, as Higgins and Burr have officiated many conference championships and Final Fours. They are human and there was a mistake here. Understanding that, it is time that we have full-time officials in college basketball, just like they have in the NBA. Guys work on their normal jobs and often do five college games a week; that is too much. As for guys like Burr and Higgins, let's not let a bad call overshadow great careers. They got a TO (turnover) baby and they should be working in the NCAA tournament.
• I am so excited about working at the ACC tournament and then Selection Sunday. Will we see a Duke-North Carolina final on Sunday and will a No. 1 seed at the Big Dance be at stake? Stay tuned, baby! The NCAA field of 68 should feature parity, baby! It should be excitement galore as there is no dominant team.
• Where will Georgetown be seeded in the Big Dance? The tournament selection committee will have to factor in the status of Chris Wright, who has missed significant time the past few weeks. The Hoyas are a different team without him though the school says they expect him back for the tourney.
• The college career of Perry Jones may be over. He was suspended prior to the Bears' loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 tournament. There were reports about potential extra benefits and Jones looks like a one-and-done, baby! Many experts have him going anywhere from 1-3 in the next NBA draft.
• This is the time of year where coaches get the ziggy. Whether it is announced as a resignation or a dismissal, it is time for a change at a number of schools across America. Veteran coaches like Perry Clark (Texas A&M-Corpus Christi) and Pat Kennedy (Towson) are in the transaction part of the sports section as saying bye-bye. I am sorry to see guys being let go.
• There are always great stories in the Big Dance. How about a salute to Big Sky champion Northern Colorado in its first NCAA tournament ever? B.J. Hill was promoted to head coach this season when Tad Boyle went to Colorado and now Hill has a ticket punched for the field of 68. Boyle could land in the field too as the Buffs won their opening round game in the Big 12 tourney.
Check out the Roundball Chatter Archive »
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- Cano thanks NY, finalizes big Mariners deal
- Source: Yanks nix Gardner-for-Phillips deal