Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Billy Donovan made a good decision by adding a couple of former head coaches to his staff. He brought on former Arkansas head coach and Kentucky player John Pelphrey, as well as former St. John's coach Norm Roberts. Remember, he needed to replace Larry Shyatt, who went back to Wyoming as its head coach. Richard Pitino also left the Gators to join his dad back at Louisville.
• How interesting is next year's Maui Invitational field? Consider all of the storylines with a group like this: the field includes host Chaminade, Duke, Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Michigan, UCLA and Tennessee. Wow, that should be something else, baby! I cannot wait to tip off college hoops, baby! It is going to be a long summer waiting for next season!
• Iowa State is becoming transfer haven, baby! Fred Hoiberg got Chris Allen and Korie Lucious from Michigan State and the latest to come to Ames is ex-Utah player Will Clyburn. The forward-center led the Utes in scoring and rebounding, averaging 17.1 ppg. and 7.8 rpg. He will have to sit out next season but he has a good future.
• It was not a surprise to see Kemba Walker and Shelvin Mack opt for the pros. Both guys played in the championship game this season and did not have much else to prove in college. I think Walker will be a better pro than some people think; he has been the most improved player that I have seen in all of my years at ESPN! He had the best season of any UConn. player ever, and that includes Richard Hamilton and Ray Allen!
• My sympathy goes out to the family of writer Bill Brill, who passed away recently. I remember all of the times I saw him on Tobacco Road, in the Duke press room, and he would lecture me about what I should have said. He was so passionate about college basketball and he will be missed.