Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Bill Self is not afraid of a challenge. That is why Kansas has put together a great non-league schedule. The Jayhawks have the likes of Ohio State and Kentucky, a trip to USC, plus the Maui Invitational, which includes Duke, Memphis, UCLA, Georgetown, Tennessee and Michigan. That is a great tune-up for Big 12 play, my friends.
• New Utah coach Larry Krystkowiak is taking his team into a tough situation also. His Utes are part of the field in the Battle 4 Atlantis down in the Bahamas on during Thanksgiving week. The field includes defending champion Connecticut, Florida State, Harvard and the College of Charleston, to name a few. There are some pretty good coaches in Hall of Famer Jim Calhoun, Leonard Hamilton, Tommy Amaker and Bobby Cremins.
• I have said it many times. Some young men make questionable decisions. That is the best way to describe the actions of Jamal Coombs-McDaniel of the national champion Connecticut Huskies. He was arrested after he and two others were in possession of marijuana. That was not a wise decision.
• I originally had Texas in my top three for next season. That was until Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton and Cory Joseph announced plans to enter the draft. I will come out with a new top five after May 8, the deadline for players to stay in or withdraw from the draft.
• I was surprised to see that George Washington decided to let Karl Hobbs go after 10 seasons as head coach. I guess when a school hires a new athletic director, as they did by when they brought in Patrick Nero, he wants to make his own moves.
• Congratulations to the winners from my Sunkist Catchphrase contest. The overall winner was Ron Cottom from Mississippi! The other weekly winners included Dale Dedrich Jr. of Wisconsin; Christobal Flores of Michigan; Gerard Meltzer of Pennsylvania; Donna Reiden of Illinois; Michael Casale of North Carolina; John Solomos of Illinois; and Jason DiFanco of Ohio.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Warriors sink Clippers for Game 1 road win
- Nationals' Harper benched for 'lack of hustle'
- Nets claim opener as D-Will has 24
- Raptors GM shouts expletive aimed at Nets