- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Valparaiso coach Homer Drew decided to retire and turn the reins over to his son, Bryce. You may remember when Bryce hit the game-winning shot in the NCAA tourney shocker as Valpo knocked off Mississippi years ago. My friends, I was touched earlier this season when Homer Drew showed up to meet me at the airport when I was calling the Valparaiso-Missouri State game. That was the first time in my 32 years of calling games that a coach showed up to greet me. All the best in your retirement, Homer. You are a class act, baby!
• Former Ohio State and Boston College coach Jim O'Brien will be returning to the sidelines. He will be the coach at Division III Emerson College in Massachusetts.
• It is sad when a player makes a big-time mistake and has to pay the price. Anthony Crater transferred from Ohio State to South Florida, and now he has been released from the Big East school due to conduct detrimental to the program.
• UNLV's Chace Stanback apparently used poor judgment recently when he was arrested for allegedly driving under the influence. He was the team's top scorer and rebounder last season. His situation now puts pressure on new coach David Rice.
• New Monmouth coach King Rice brought in a pair of former North Carolina Tar Heels on his staff. Brian Reese and Derrick Phelps will be working as assistants for the New Jersey school.
• There is a good trend of former college stars with high visibility going back to their schools to work as assistants. Stacey Augmon was recently hired by UNLV, and now Othella Harrington, who played in the NBA, will be on the staff at Georgetown. It was a nice move by John Thompson III.
Each week Dick Vitale writes about the sport he loves, college basketball.