- Dick Vitale, College Basketball analyst
- 0 Shares
Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• John Calipari had to be happy with the addition of Ryan Harrow, who transferred from NC State. He will have to sit out the upcoming season but will be eligible in 2012-13. Harrow, a native of Marietta, Ga, averaged 9.3 points per game last season and started 10 times. He also averaged 23 minutes per game and shot 87 percent from the foul line.
• Memphis coach Josh Pastner made a great move when he brought on former NBA star and University of Arizona guard Damon Stoudamire onto his staff. Having a former player like Stoudamire as an assistant is a great tool for recruiting and teaching young guards like Will Barton and Joe Jackson.
• Xavier coach Chris Mack added a player of note for the future, as Isaiah Philmore transferred in from Towson. Philmore averaged 15 points and seven rebounds per game at Towson last season.
• I know there is a long wait until next season, but some schools will get the opportunity to play earlier. Mike Montgomery has his California men's basketball team on the court for five early games when the Golden Bears take a 10-day European tour in August. Cal's schedule includes visits to Sweden, Norway and Denmark. His young squad will enjoy the opportunity.
• It is sad to see coaching talents like Jim Tressel, Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson ruin their careers. Life is all about choices! When you make good choices, good things happen.
1hMichael C. Wright