Top five athletes
1. Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls: 31.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, 5.5 ast, NBA MVP, Finals MVP.
2. Thurman Thomas, Buffalo Bills: 1,407 rushing, 631 receiving, 12 TDs, NFL MVP.
3. Shaquille O'Neal, LSU: 27.6 points, 14.7 rebounds, 5.0 blocks, Player of the Year.
4. Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers: 80 catches, 1,206 yards, 14 TDs.
5. Monica Seles: Won three majors, 10 of 16 tournaments, ranked #1 in world.
Top five teams
1. Chicago Bulls (61-21). MJ gets his first championship, 4-1 over the Lakers.
2. Minnesota Twins (95-67). Twins go from last to first with thrilling World Series win over Atlanta.
3. Washington football (12-0). Outscored opponents 495-115 but shared title with 12-0 Miami.
4. Duke basketball (32-7). Shocked undefeated UNLV in semis, beat Kansas for championship.
5. New York Giants (13-3). Scott Norwood goes wide right.
Expansion San Jose Sharks join NHL
Chicago White Sox into U.S. Cellular Field
Utah Jazz into Delta Center
Baseball record book deletes asterisks
Pop culture trivia
Oscar winner: The Silence of the Lambs
Most popular TV show: 60 Minutes
Top of the Pops: (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, Bryan Adams
Fiction bestseller: Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind," Alexandra Ripley
Nonfiction bestseller: Me: Stories of My Life, Katharine Hepburn
Pop culture potpourri: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sparks alternative music scene; Clarence Thomas hearings rivet country.