ESPN.comTop five athletes
1. Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls: 31.5 points, 6.0 rebounds, 5.5 ast, NBA MVP, Finals MVP.
2. Thurman Thomas, Buffalo Bills: 1,407 rushing, 631 receiving, 12 TDs, NFL MVP.
3. Shaquille O'Neal, LSU: 27.6 points, 14.7 rebounds, 5.0 blocks, Player of the Year.
4. Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers: 80 catches, 1,206 yards, 14 TDs.
5. Monica Seles: Won three majors, 10 of 16 tournaments, ranked #1 in world.
Top five teams
1. Chicago Bulls (61-21). MJ gets his first championship, 4-1 over the Lakers.
2. Minnesota Twins (95-67). Twins go from last to first with thrilling World Series win over Atlanta.
3. Washington football (12-0). Outscored opponents 495-115 but shared title with 12-0 Miami.
4. Duke basketball (32-7). Shocked undefeated UNLV in semis, beat Kansas for championship.
5. New York Giants (13-3). Scott Norwood goes wide right.
Pop culture trivia
Oscar winner: The Silence of the Lambs
Most popular TV show: 60 Minutes
Top of the Pops: (Everything I Do) I Do It For You, Bryan Adams
Fiction bestseller: Scarlett: The Sequel to Margaret Mitchell's "Gone with the Wind," Alexandra Ripley
Nonfiction bestseller: Me: Stories of My Life, Katharine Hepburn
Pop culture potpourri: "Smells Like Teen Spirit" sparks alternative music scene; Clarence Thomas hearings rivet country.