ESPN.comTop five athletes
1. Barry Bonds, San Francisco Giants: 46 HRs, 123 RBI, .336, 129 runs, .677 SLG, NL MVP.
2. John Elway, Denver Broncos: 4,030 yards, 63.2%, 25 TDs, 10 INT.
3. Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls: 32.6 points, 6.7 rebounds, NBA Finals MVP.
4. Sheryl Swoopes, Texas Tech: 28.1 points, 9.2 rebounds, NCAA title, 47 points in title game.
5. Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins: 160 points, 69 goals, NHL MVP.
Top five teams
1. Dallas Cowboys (13-3). Troy, Emmitt and the boys crush Buffalo 52-17 in Super Bowl.
2. Toronto Blue Jays (95-67). First repeat World Series champ since '78 Yankees.
3. Chicago Bulls (57-25). Beat Phoenix in NBA Finals for third straight championship.
4. North Carolina basketball (34-4). Donald Williams' 3-point binge paced Tar Heels.
5. Florida State football (12-1). Bobby Bowden's first national title is controversial vote..
Pop culture trivia
Oscar winner: Schindler's List
Most popular TV show: 60 Minutes
Top of the Pops: I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston
Fiction bestseller: The Bridges of Madison County, Robert James Waller
Nonfiction bestseller: See, I Told You So, Rush Limbaugh
Pop culture potpourri: Michael Jordan announces first edition of retirement trilogy; Lorena Bobbitt unwittingly launches a porn career; we surf the Web with Mosaic, which eventually becomes Netscape, which eventually is crushed by Microsoft; Norm, Cliff and the gang lift their last glasses at "Cheers"; Beanie Babies introduced; Elvis stamps adorn U.S. mail.