Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
• The Giants defense had six sacks and four interceptions against Drew Bledsoe and Tony Romo on Monday Night Football. The Giants had not had a game with as many as six sacks and four interceptions since doing it in a 31-22 loss to the Redskins in December 1983, Bill Parcells' first season as a head coach. The Cowboys had not allowed such numbers since a 43-3 loss to the Vikings in November 1988, Tom Landry's final season as head coach.
Romo threw three interceptions and Bledsoe threw one in Monday night's loss. The last time that a Parcells-coached team threw four interceptions in a regular-season game was almost 12 years ago, on Dec. 11, 1994, when Bledsoe threw four picks in a 28-13 win over the Colts. (Of course, Bledsoe also threw four interceptions in Super Bowl XXXI vs. the Packers.)
• Tiki Barber has led the Giants in rushing yards for 70 consecutive games, a streak that began with the 2002 season opener. That's the longest streak of that kind in NFL history. The old record was held by Barry Sanders, who led the Lions in rushing in each of 68 straight games from 1994 to 1998.
• Giants rookie Kevin Dockery scored his first touchdown on a 96-yard interception return to seal the game in the fourth quarter. In the last 25 years, the only other player whose first career interception went for a touchdown of at least 95 yards was the Giants' Sam Garnes, whose first pick went 95 yards for a touchdown against the Eagles in the 1997 season opener.
• Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk scored three power-play goals in the Thrashers' 6-3 win in Florida on Monday night. It was the third power-play hat trick for Kovalchuk in his NHL career; he had one in October 2003 and another in November 2005. Kovalchuk has three of the eight power-play hat tricks in the NHL since the start of the 2003-04 season and no one else has more than one over that span.
• Chris Drury scored his 10th goal in the Sabres' ninth game on Monday. He's only the second player in Buffalo history to reach 10 goals before the team played 10 games. Rick Martin hit double figures in the team's ninth game in the 1972-73 season.
• Colorado Avalanche rookie Paul Stastny, who was playing in his ninth career game Monday, had a goal and two assists for his first 3-point game. Coincidentally, Paul's father, Peter Stastny, also had his first 3-point game in his ninth career game, on Oct. 26, 1980, and he went on to rank second in the NHL in points in the 1980s, behind only Wayne Gretzky.
• The Sharks recorded their first road shutout of the season, a 3-0 victory in Columbus. Last season the Sharks had five road shutouts, tying them with the Red Wings for the most in the NHL.
• The Oilers' victory over the Coyotes at Rexall Place gave Edmonton five wins in five home games this season. The Oilers have started a season with wins in their first five home games two previous times in franchise history, in October 1986 and October 1985.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Broncos' Bowlen has Alzheimer's, steps down
- Sterling sues NBA, wife, others for damages
- Sources: Bulls join Cavs in Love trade push
- LeBron apologizes for 'chaos' with cupcakes