Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
But with Garcia's touchdown pass to Brian Westbrook, he lost his spot atop that list. His percentage dropped to 38.2 percent, and the record again belongs to Jim Zorn, who threw 38.7 percent of his 111 NFL touchdown passes to Steve Largent.
• Joel Lundqvist, the identical twin brother of Rangers goaltender Henrik, made his NHL debut Monday for the Dallas Stars. The Lundqvists are the fifth set of twins to play in the NHL, joining Peter and Chris Ferraro, Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Patrik and Peter Sundstrom, and Rich and Ron Sutter.
• Marc Savard had three assists in the Bruins' 6-5 win over the Canadiens, giving him 25 in Boston's first 25 games of the season. The last Bruin to reach 25 assists in so few team games was Adam Oates, who had 25 in the first 22 games in the 1993-94 season.
• The Stars beat the Sharks, 1-0, with Mike Modano scoring the only goal. It was the first time in a regular-season game that Modano scored the only goal in a 1-0 game, but he did it twice in the 2000 playoffs, including once against the Sharks.
The Stars have won three of their 27 games this season by a 1-0 score. In the last 50 years, the only other team with three 1-0 wins this few games into a season was the 2001 Red Wings.
• The Oilers shut out the Canucks in Vancouver on Monday, 4-0. It was only Edmonton's third shutout in Vancouver. Goaltender Bob Essensa led a 7-0 shutout in 1996 and Tommy Salo had a 2-0 shutout in 2002.
• The Predators managed only three shots on goal in the third period of their 3-2 loss to the Coyotes. It's the second time this season that Nashville has had as few as three shots in the third period of a one-goal loss; it also had three shots in a 1-0 loss to the Stars on Nov. 22. No other team has had as few as three shots in the third period of a one-goal loss this season.
• The Spurs defeated the Warriors Monday, 129-89. It was the most points that the Spurs have scored in a non-overtime game in over 11 years, since winning 129-99 over the Warriors on Feb. 26, 1995, when Bob Hill was the head coach. Their previous most in a non-OT game under Gregg Popovich was 127, on Jan. 8, 2000 against the Magic.
And it was their largest margin of victory in more than eight years, since a 109-67 win over the Kings on Jan. 10, 1998.
The Spurs scored 75 points off the bench Monday, the most by their substitutes since the bench scored 77 points on Nov. 20, 1987.
• The Mavericks lost in D.C. on Monday, 106-97, ending their 12-game winning streak. Four of the last five teams that took a winning streak of 12 or more games to Washington left without it. The Wizards also snapped the Lakers' 19-game winning streak in 2000, the Sonics' 14-game streak in 1996, and the Lakers' 14-game streak in 1978. The lone exception: the Hawks extended a winning streak to 13 games with a victory at Baltimore Arena in 1993.