Elias Says ... Monster game for Wallace
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
But no Bulls player had enjoyed a 20-rebound, 15-point, five-block game in nearly 24 years. Back on Dec. 27, 1982, when Michael Jordan was a sophomore at North Carolina, Dave Corzine had 18 points, 22 rebounds and five blocks in a game at Washington. Actually, Corzine didn't enjoy it all that much -- the Bullets won that game, 89-87.
• The Bulls' victory snapped Seattle's streak of eight straight road wins in Chicago. Circle Jan. 6 on your 2007 calendar; that's when the Pistons next visit the United Center, where they've won their last 12 meetings with the Bulls (the longest current road-winning streak for any NBA team against a particular opponent).
• Jason Kidd's 80th career triple-double was unlike any of his first 79. It was only the third time in NBA history that a player had exactly 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists in a game. Penny Hardaway did it for the Suns in April 2003, as did Andre Iguodala for the 76ers in March 2005.
• The Suns completed a sweep of their five-game road trip with a 99-89 win against the Heat, and all five of their victories were against Eastern Conference teams. Over the last 10 years, the only other NBA team to sweep a road trip of at least five games against interconference opponents was the Lakers in 1999-2000 (who swept a six-game trip through the East).
• Miami is 0-9 this season in games against teams that are currently at or above the .500 mark, with six of those losses coming at home (vs. Chicago, Houston, Denver, Orlando, Detroit and Phoenix).
Arenas scored at least 30 points in each of his last five games, his second such streak since joining the Wizards. Over the last 28 seasons (since 1979-80) the only other player with at least five straight 30-point games for Washington is Bernard King (six in a row in 1990-91).
• Eddy Curry posted his 11th straight 20-point performance as the Knicks defeated the Hawks. Curry's streak matched Yao Ming's for the most consecutive games with at least 20 points for any NBA center this season. Last season, Yao was the only player in the league with such a long streak of consecutive 20-point games from the pivot (14 in a row).
• The Timberwolves led at San Antonio 54-38 with a minute and a half left in the first half before the Spurs rallied for a 95-82 victory. It marked the second time this season, and the sixth time over the last season and a half, that Minnesota lost a game which it had led by at least 16 points. No other team in the NBA has suffered as many losses since the beginning of the 2005-06 season in games in which it enjoyed leads of that size.
• The Bobcats lost to the Cavaliers on Wednesday, but the most interesting line in the box score, as far as we're concerned, belonged to Adam Morrison. Charlotte's rookie forward had three offensive rebounds in 23 minutes off the bench after gathering only four offensive rebounds during his 689 previous minutes played in the NBA (an average of one every 172 minutes).
• The Lakers began their temporary life without Lamar Odom with a loss to the Mavericks. Since Odom joined the Lakers for the 2004-05 season, Los Angeles has a .522 winning percentage in the games that he's played (91-74) compared to a .143 mark in the games that Odom has missed (3-18).
It was the third time in his Selanne's career that he scored each of his team's goals in a win. The two previous occurrences were in 1-0 triumphs for the Ducks (Dec. 26, 1999 at San Jose) and Sharks (Jan. 15, 2002 at Colorado).
• The Ducks have won five straight games and each of the last four has been on the road against an Eastern Conference opponent. The last Western Conference team to win four consecutive games on a road trip, each against an interconference opponent, was Dallas in 1999-2000.
Crosby has 15 goals and 32 assists through the Penguins' first 30 games of the season. Including Crosby, the last five occurrences of an NHL player accumulating both 15 goals and 30 assists by their team's 30th game of a season all happened for the Penguins. Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr and Ron Francis each did it in 1995-96; Lemieux repeated the accomplishment in 2002-03.
• The Flyers allowed at least eight goals in a game for the third time this season after giving up eight or more goals in a game only twice over the previous 11 seasons combined (1994-95 through 2005-06).