Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
It was the 47th time that McGrady has scored at least 30 points since joining the Rockets. Houston is 38-9 in those 47 games.
McGrady has averaged 34.3 points per game during this six-game stretch, which began on Dec. 29, the highest scoring average in the NBA since that date.
• Dikembe Mutombo pulled down 16 rebounds in the Rockets' win. It was the seventh straight game in which Mutombo had at least 10 boards, the longest such streak by a Houston player since Kelvin Cato had a seven-game streak in 2001-02 and the longest by Mutombo since late in the 2000-01 season.
• Jeff Van Gundy won only three of his first 10 games against the Bulls, thanks mostly to a player named Michael Jordan. Since 1998-99, Van Gundy is 16-4 against Chicago. He has a better record against only one NBA team over that span: (ironically he's 7-1 vs. New York).
• The Milwaukee Bucks found out today that Michael Redd will miss four to six weeks due to an injured left knee. The Bucks are only 9-16 (.360) in the 25 games Redd has missed since 2001-02, his first full NBA season; they're 201-218 (.480) in the 419 games Redd has played over the same span.
Iverson has 46 turnovers and has missed 106 shots since he joined the Nuggets on Dec. 22. A.I. leads the NBA in turnovers, and he's tied with Rafer Alston and McGrady for the second-most missed shots behind only Kevin Garnett (109) since that date.
• One more final note on wild-card weekend. For only the second time since the NFL expanded its postseason format to include four wild-card games in 1990, all four home teams won on wild-card weekend. The other time was following the 2000 regular season: Baltimore over Denver, Miami over Indianapolis, New Orleans over St. Louis and Philadelphia over Tampa Bay.
The Kings have now allowed 56 goals in the second period. That's the second-most goals any NHL team has allowed in any period this season. The Flyers have allowed 61 goals in the second period this season.
Entering Monday night, the Oilers and Kings were two of five NHL teams that had not won a game in overtime this season. That list is now down to four: Colorado, Florida, Los Angeles and Philadelphia.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Reports: Gasol closing in on deal with Bulls
- LeBron says he is going back to Cleveland
- Source: Love 'intrigued' by deal to Cavaliers
- Agent: Jazz match $63M offer for Hayward