Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
• With a 92-74 loss to the Pistons on Monday, the Clippers are 2-21 (.087) in Detroit since the start of the 1983-84 season (the Clippers last in San Diego). That's the worst road record by one team against another among teams that have been in the NBA for that entire time. In fact, the Clippers also have the next two worst marks over the last 24 seasons: 6-49 (.109) in Portland and 6-43 (.122) in Utah. The lowest non-Clippers entry is the Warriors' 7-50 record in Phoenix.
• The Nuggets and Warriors played their third high-scoring game of the season on Monday, which ended as a 123-111 Nuggets victory. (The Nuggets won the previous two games, 115-112 and 140-129.)
With one game left to play this season (March 7 in California), the two teams have combined to average 243.3 points per game in their three meetings. Over the last 15 seasons (since 1992-93), the only teams to have such a high average in at least three games were the Suns and SuperSonics, who with the help of a triple-overtime game, averaged 243.5 per game last season.
• With a 102-76 loss to the Jazz on Monday, the Hawks have lost their last 13 road games in Utah. The Hawks' last win in Salt Lake City was on Feb. 13, 1993, when Dominique Wilkins' 43 points led a 121-112 victory. Only three NBA teams have gone longer in terms of time since their last win on the road against a particular team: the Bucks at Phoenix (last win was Feb. 21, 1987; 0-19 since then), the Celtics at San Antonio (last win was Feb. 14, 1990; 0-15 since then), and the Nuggets at Orlando (last win was March 10, 1992; 0-14 since then).
• The Red Wings and Flyers were tied 1-1 through two periods but Philadelphia scored five unanswered goals in the third period to beat Detroit 6-1.
Coming into Monday's game, the Red Wings were third in the NHL with 78 points and the Flyers were dead last with 36. In the last 20 years, only one other team won a game by at least five goals over a team with at least 40 more points. On March 17, 1996, the Senators defeated the Lightning, who had 43 more points than Ottawa, 5-0.
It's the most goals the Red Wings have allowed in the third period of a game since Oct. 9, 1993, when they gave up seven in the final stanza of a 10-3 loss at Los Angeles.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sherman's two INTs help Seahawks by 49ers
- Niners CEO apologizes: Loss 'not acceptable'
- Eagles blast Cowboys, seize NFC East lead
- Dez awaits rematch vs. 'kinda cheap' Eagles