Elias Says ...
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports.
A daily glance inside the numbers from the world of sports:
• Derek Jeter had another hit on Monday with two out and a runner in scoring position, giving him 13 hits in his last 17 at-bats in that situation. Since 1990, only two other players have had a hit in 13 of 17 at-bats with two out and runners in scoring position: Paul Lo Duca had a span like that in 2003 and Shawon Dunston did it in 1999.
• Alex Rodriguez's first-inning home run was his sixth off Wakefield, the most that the Red Sox' knuckleballer has allowed to any batter.
• Javier Valentin's pinch-hit home run proved to be the winning runs in the Reds' 8-7 comeback victory over the Nationals. Valentin has the most pinch hit home runs in the major leagues over the last two seasons. He had four last year, and Monday's was his first of this season.
• Alex Gonzalez's RBI double brought the Reds within two runs in the third inning. That snapped Gonzalez's streak of hitless at-bats with runners on base at 21. That had been the longest current streak in the major leagues by any non-pitcher, and it was the longest single-season drought of Gonzalez's career.
• The Twins started the season 11-6, at which point they had a 1½-game lead in the American League Central. But since then, including their 14-4 loss to the Rangers on Monday, the Twins are 9-18, tying them with the Reds for the worst record in the major leagues since April 22.
• To no one's surprise, it was a low-scoring game in which the Pistons beat the Cavaliers in Game 1 of the conference finals 79-76. It was the third time in the shot-clock era that neither team reached 80 points in Game 1 of the conference finals. The Pacers beat the Pistons in 2004 78-74, and the Nets beat Detroit in 2003 76-74.
There has been only one Pistons-Cavs regular-season game and one postseason game in which either team scored 100 points during that time: Cavs 101, Pistons 97 in overtime on March 7, 2007 and Pistons 113, Cavs 86 in Game 1 of last year's Eastern Conference semis.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Winston investigation results due Thursday
- UNC strikes again, topples Michigan State
- Tomlin fined $100K; Steelers may lose picks
- Kobe rules himself out Friday against Kings