College baseball tops ESPN.com searches again in June
ESPN.com ranks the top searches of June 2008.
Top search of the month: College Baseball
For the past two months, it didn't mean a thing if it didn't have that "ping." For the second consecutive month, searches for "college baseball" were tops on ESPN.com. Its popularity comes as no surprise because the exciting NCAA baseball tournament truly defined parity at its best. In what ended up being a battle of the Bulldogs, true Cinderella Fresno State (which was unranked and entered the tournament as a No. 4 seed) concluded an improbable run by pushing the Georgia Bulldogs to a third CWS game before defeating them 6-1.
- No. 4 Euro 2008: The College World Series wasn't the only parity-filled tournament to take place in June. The Euro 2008 featured plenty of surprises as sleeper Turkey made its mark and Spain ended its 44-year European championship drought.
- No. 7 ESPN 360: If employers are wondering why the production of their workers with computers was down last month, they need not look any further than ESPN 360 and its comprehensive coverage of Euro 2008, the U.S. Open, the World Series of Poker and Wimbledon throughout June.
- No. 15 Kobe Bryant: The NBA MVP's dream postseason didn't end as well as he probably expected, with his team losing to the Celtics in the Finals -- not to mention having to endure some supposedly lighthearted public ribbing from former teammate/freestyle rapper Shaquille O'Neal about the loss. But "Black Mamba" is poised to lead the U.S. basketball team in its quest to reclaim the Olympic gold and he remains as popular as ever in ESPN.com searches.
- No. 19 Take Me Out (to the Ball Game): ESPN's celebration commemorating the 100th anniversary of the famous song has been a big hit with users as they continue to search for the latest rendition by such popular musical artists as Lloyd, REO Speedwagon and Peter Gammons?
Surprise search of the month: Summerville (High School)
Earlier this year, Wright Thompson wrote about the incredible story of the Summerville High School basketball team, which won its first state championship in improbable fashion after the opposing team's last-second full-court shot was waved off. The team's coach, Louis Mulkey, was also a local fireman who died fighting a fire prior to the team's run to the state championship. Recently, "Outside the Lines" ran a piece in which the players, Mulkey's wife and his coaching successor honored the late coach and looked back on the team's championship run. Thompson's initial story in February received its fair share of readers, but following the OTL segment, user searches for the Summerville story and video clip skyrocketed from fewer than 40 searches in May to more than 4,500 in June.
The complete top 25
1. (NCAA) College Baseball|
2. College World Series
4. Euro 2008
7. ESPN 360
9. MLB draft|
10. NBA draft
11. Kimbo Slice
14. Bill Simmons
15. Kobe Bryant
16. Big Brown
17. NBA Finals
18. Tiger Woods|
Maalek Marshall is ESPN.com's search editor.
Note: The results listed are the summation of actual search results that were manually typed in by site users of ESPN.com in said month of 2008. All prelinked searches (including columnist archive links) were excluded from this summation.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Rodgers not cleared, still under evaluation
- Bengals punter: Big hits are 'part of the game'
- Durable Redskins LB Fletcher likely to retire
- Tucker's status soaring among Ravens fans