Pontiac Game Changing Performance tops ESPN.com searches in November
ESPN.com ranks the top searches of November 2008.
Top Search of the Month: Pontiac (Game Changing Performance)
The Pontiac Game Changing Performance is a weekly favorite during the college football season as it not only allows users to vote on the week's most exciting and pivotal play, but also gives them a chance to win scholarship money. With November marking the final full month of the college football regular season, searches for "Pontiac" outpaced all others as users got in their votes for the last weeks before the BCS frenzy begins.
- No. 3 Notre Dame: November was an up-and-down month for Fighting Irish fans as their football team lost four of their five games but their hoops team was the polar opposite, going 4-1.
- No. 7 Texas Tech: Not only were the Red Raiders faves in searches because of their 11-1 football team, their hoops team also caught users' attention (and made history) by channeling their inner "EA Sports NCAA 09" to score an incredible 167 points in 40 minutes!
- No. 12 Streak (for the Ca$h): "Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades," goes the saying and no one understands this more than Streak for the Ca$h player Greg Reynolds, who saw his streak of 24 -- as well as his chance to win $1 million -- go down in flames with the Packers' loss on MNF.
- No. 15 BCS: ESPN search may not be able to explain the BCS computer rankings, but it can definitely get you to all the latest polls, standings and columns about the Bowl Championship Series ... from there, you're on your own.
- No. 24 Poker: At 22 years old, many people are worried about paying for their student loans. But Peter Eastgate's performance in the WSOP not only made him the youngest-ever winner, it also netted him a cool $9 million.
Surprise Search of the Month: Myron Rolle
Unranked FSU's surprising defeat of then-25th-ranked Maryland was topped off by news that junior safety Myron Rolle had earned a Rhodes scholarship shortly before joining the 'Noles for the second half of their game. Clearly, Rolle's emphasis on the "student" side of being a student-athlete resonated with users as he received more than 2,000 searches in November after no searches the previous month to become the Surprise Search.
The Complete Top 25
1. Pontiac (Game Changing Performance)|
2. Power Rankings
3. Notre Dame
4. NFL Expert Picks
5. NFL Power Rankings
7. Texas Tech
8. Bowl Projections
9. Mayne Street|
11. Bottom 10
12. Streak (for the Ca$h)
13. Penn State
Check out the new ESPN Search Index for all the latest sports buzz in search, including the top daily searches, surprises and movers.
Maalek Marshall is ESPN.com's search editor.
Note: The results listed are the summation of actual search results that were manually typed in by site users of ESPN.com in said month of 2008. All prelinked searches (including columnist archive links) were excluded from this summation.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Bulls join Cavs in Love trade push
- Dungy attempts to clarify comments on Sam
- Yankees get 3B Headley in trade with Padres
- Johnson at Texans' HQ Monday, sources say